Japanese volcano erupts, spews smoke 2,000 metres in air (Lead)February 2nd, 2009 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Feb 2 (DPA) Mount Asama, a volcano in northcentral Japan erupted early Monday, spewing smoke 2,000 metres above its crater and sending ash as far away as Tokyo, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.The agency issued a warning of continued large ash deposits in the surrounding four-kilometre area. No casualties or severe damage were reported so far.
The volcano erupted at 1:51 a.m. early Monday, and volcanic smoke was detected until around 8 a.m..
A thin layer of ash fell on rooftops and car windows in Tokyo’s Tachikawa city, about 100 km southeast of Mount Asama.
The agency said volcanic activity had subsided and the frequency of the volcanic earthquakes had decreased.
The 2,568-metre Mount Asama, on the border between Gunma and Nagano prefectures, last erupted in August.
In southern Japan, several minor volcanic eruptions had also been detected since Sunday on Sakurajima island, south of Kagoshima prefecture, the Fukuoka District Meteorological Observatory said.
The observatory raised the alert level because it said it expected debris could reach surrounding areas within a two-kilometre radius of the 1,117-metre Sakurajima volcano and volcanic activity might increase.
- Volcano erupts in Japan - Feb 02, 2009
- Volcano erupts near Tokyo - Feb 02, 2009
- Strong eruptions from Japan's Shinmoedake prompts evacuations - Feb 01, 2011
- Mount Asama in Japan - Feb 02, 2009
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia - Aug 29, 2010
- Plea for UNESCO to save Indonesian temples - Jan 23, 2011
- Thousands flee volcanic eruption in Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- One dead, thousands flee as volcano erupts in Indonesia (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Indonesian volcano erupts - Aug 18, 2011
- Russian volcano erupts - Jun 17, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Tokyo tap water found to have radioactive iodine beyond Japan's regulated standards - Mar 20, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Indonesian volcano erupts again - Sep 07, 2010
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: ash deposits, car windows, early monday, gunma, japan meteorological agency, japanese volcano, kagoshima prefecture, kilometre radius, meteorological observatory, mount asama, nagano prefectures, northcentral, rooftops, sakurajima, southern japan, tachikawa city, volcanic activity, volcanic earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, volcanic smoke