Japanese troops may train with Australian troops: GillardApril 23rd, 2011 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, April 23 (IANS) Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard said Saturday Japanese troops could be allowed to train in Australian defence units under a new vision for greater military co-operation by both the countries.
Last year, Japan’s Defence Minister Toshimi Kitizawa was keen for Japanese troops to draw on the combat experience that Australian soldiers have gained in East Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan, The Weekend Australian stated.
Gillard, who is in Tokyo, said though she was yet to receive a formal proposal, but supported the idea being discussed by the defence and foreign ministers of each country.
“I am open to the idea being explored as part of this process that we have outlined,” Xinhua quoted Gillard as saying to The Weekend Australian.
“We would need to work it through and see what request Japan might or might not make of us. We do have good links and partnerships at the moment and so we are looking to build on that with this vision of defence co-operation bilaterally for the future. We are in a region with reasons for defence co-operation.”
Tokyo seeks to strengthen its combat readiness in response to the growing threat from the North Korea.
The two countries, during Gillard’s visit, have already signed a resupply and cross-servicing pact that allows the forces to operate closely during disasters or peacekeeping operations.
Both the countries are also eyeing a pact to share intelligence.
- Unease in China over Oz enhancing defense ties with Japan, S. Korea - Apr 22, 2011
- Gillard visits tsunami-ravaged Japanese town - Apr 23, 2011
- S. Korea denies military cooperation with Japan - Jan 05, 2011
- Krishna in Tokyo for strategic talks, Antony on the way - Oct 28, 2011
- India, Japan to resume n-deal talks, to develop rare earths (Lead) - Oct 29, 2011
- Japan deploys 100000 troops for quake and tsunami help - Mar 13, 2011
- India, Japan to talk n-deal talks, currency swap (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- 54 Aussies stuck in Japan quake zone - Mar 12, 2011
- Australia's role in Afghanistan may last till 2020: Gillard - Oct 19, 2010
- Oz spy agencies intensify secret operations with US, Japan to counter China: WikiLeaks - Jan 22, 2011
- Gillard apologises for "dreadful accent" during her New Zealand visit - Feb 15, 2011
- US seeks to expand military presence in Asia, says Def Secy Robert Gates - Nov 08, 2010
- India, Japan seal social security pact - May 30, 2012
- 'India seeks secure Asia free of terror' - Jun 29, 2012
- US, Japan to promote trilateral dialogue with India - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,