Japanese student kidnapped in Iran released after 10 monthsJune 15th, 2008 - 3:16 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 15 (DPA) Japanese student Satoshi Nakamura, who was kidnapped 10 months ago in eastern Iran, has been released, Iranian officials said Saturday. Fars news agency quoted Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei, Iran’s intelligence service chief, as confirming the release of the 23-year-old who was abducted in Bam in Kerman province by drug traffickers and armed bandits.
The official added that bandits had forced to return the student from Pakistan to Iran but gave no further details.
Nakamura is believed to be in the border city of Zahedan, from where he is to be transferred to the capital Tehran and delivered to the Japanese embassy before leaving to Japan.
Nakamura’s captors had demanded the release of one of their senior gang members from jail in return for the student.
Mohseni-Ejei said Iran did not give in to the bandits’ demand and had forced them to release the Nakamura without preconditions.
Nakamura was allowed telephone contact with his family in Japan while he was being held, reportedly in the Bahramchah region, located close to both the Afghan and Pakistani borders and said to be a stronghold of drug-trafficker gangs and Al Qaeda militants.
- Iran central bank deputy head held for embezzlement - Oct 30, 2011
- Iran arrests 19 for bank fraud - Sep 20, 2011
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran overturns death sentence for CIA 'spy' - Mar 06, 2012
- 31 held in Iran for embezzlement - Oct 26, 2011
- Two foreigners arrested in Iran - Oct 12, 2010
- 50 indicted in Iran's biggest ever banking scam - Nov 28, 2011
- Iranian woman could still be 'stoned to death' for adultery, murder, says Chief prosecutor - Sep 29, 2010
- One protester dies in Iran clashes, opposition leader detained (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- "Israel plotted Ahmadinejad killing", claims Teheran's intelligence chief - Jul 18, 2009
- Iranian 'death by stoning' woman's son reported missing - Oct 13, 2010
- Iran hangs eight drug traffickers - Oct 08, 2010
- Iran to use UAVs to guard its borders - Oct 03, 2011
- Four Iranians get death for $2.3 bn bank fraud - Jul 31, 2012
- Iran's Guardian Council confirms election result (Lead) - Jun 30, 2009
Tags: 10 months, abducted, bandits, border city, capital tehran, drug trafficker, drug traffickers, eastern iran, fars news agency, gang members, intelligence service, iranian officials, japanese embassy, japanese student, mohseni, preconditions, satoshi nakamura, service chief, stronghold, zahedan