Japanese residents increasingly buying pet robots amid financial crisisJanuary 15th, 2009 - 6:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 15 (ANI): In pursuit of comfort amid the ongoing credit crunch, Japanese residents are increasingly turning to stress-relieving pet robots, which resemble real pet cats and dogs.
Made by Sega Toys Co, the Dream Pet range of robotic domestic animals is especially designed to replicate the appearance and behaviour of pet cats and dogs.
The sales of the toys rose 30 per cent between October and December last year, as compared to the same months the previous year.
Also, the robot puppy by the Japanese toy manufacturer Tomy Co saw an 80 percent boost in sales during the same period.
The puppy is so lifelike that its owners can even take it for a walk in the park.
Another pet robot seal, called Paro, designed by Japan’’s National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, is also getting increasingly popular in Japan.
Its creators reckon that the toy, originally designed for therapeutic use in hospitals and caring homes, is being bought as a domestic pet substitute in Japan in large numbers.
“I think those toys are popular because they are cute and can soothe people, the Telegraph quoted Hiroshi Hirano, the sale department manager at Sega Toys Co, as saying at the Toy Forum 2009 trade show in Tokyo. (ANI)
- Beckhams' get new dog - May 17, 2011
- A living robot who smiles, sings like a girl! - Apr 12, 2012
- New approach brings robot pets closer to reality - Sep 18, 2010
- Japan's Robotic actress takes stage - Nov 12, 2010
- Robot makes debut performance on stage - Nov 16, 2010
- First urban flea market for pooches - Jan 13, 2012
- Dancing robot toy sells like hot cakes - Nov 18, 2011
- Moore and Adams adopt new dog - Dec 04, 2010
- Kristen Stewart's 'Twilight' name Bella was 2010's most popular dog name - Jan 07, 2011
- Toy story in a dog's world - Aug 25, 2011
- Pet dogs in Britain to be microchipped - Apr 24, 2011
- EU allows drug tests on pets (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Brit women do a Paris Hilton, use ferrets as fashion accessories! - Apr 09, 2010
- Aimi Eguchi is the latest pop star in Japan - Jun 24, 2011
- Plans for dog-shaped vacuum cleaner come to light - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: advanced industrial science, cats and dogs, credit crunch, domestic animals, dream pet, financial crisis, hiroshi, japanese residents, japanese toy, large numbers, london jan, pet cats, pet robot, pet robots, robot puppy, science and technology, sega toys, tomy, toy manufacturer, walk in the park