Japanese emperor celebrates 20 years of enthronementJanuary 7th, 2009 - 12:09 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Jan 7 (DPA) Japanese emperor Akihito Wednesday marked the 20th anniversary of ascension to Japan’s throne by visiting his father’s grave in Tokyo.As Akihito’s reign began with his father’s death, Jan 7 also commemorates the 20th anniversary of the death of emperor Hirohito, who is referred to by his posthumous name Showa in Japan.
Akihito and his wife, empress Michiko, attended a ceremony at the grave of the late emperor in Hachioji, a city in the western party of Tokyo, along with about 80 people, including imperial family members and Prime Minister Taro Aso.
The 75-year old emperor, who has three children and four grandchildren, suffers from health problems such as stress-induced bleeding in the stomach in December, leading to a reduction of his official duties. He was treated for prostate cancer in 2003.
The Japanese government plans to hold an official ceremony to celebrate Akihito’s two decades on the throne in November.
- Japan's emperor celebrates 20 years on the throne - Nov 12, 2009
- Japanese emperor says he is deeply worried over crisis - Mar 16, 2011
- Japanese royal couple to visit Fukushima - May 11, 2011
- Japan royal couple visit tsunami-hit town Minamisanriku - Apr 27, 2011
- Japan mourns on quake anniversary (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Japanese emperor hospitalised - Nov 06, 2011
- US conservatives lash out at Obama's bow to Japanese emperor - Nov 17, 2009
- Furore in Washington over Obama's bow to Japanese Emperor - Nov 18, 2009
- Japan marks 63rd anniversary of end of World War II - Aug 15, 2008
- Japan holds memorial service (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Obama pledges to maintain alliance with Japan (Lead) - Nov 13, 2009
- Manmohan Singh lands in Tokyo for annual summit - Oct 24, 2010
- Pakistan expresses "total solidarity and support" to quake, tsunami-hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- Have faith in India, PM tells Japan's investors - Oct 22, 2008
- Two Japanese ministers defy PM, visit shrine - Aug 15, 2012