Japanese creates robotic buttocks that quiverJuly 6th, 2012 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, July 6 (IANS) A 24-year-old graduate student from Tokyo University has created the first robot “that can feel fear” - mechanical buttocks that quiver when you spank them or clenches with “pleasure” when you stroke them, Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper reported.
“Spank the buttocks, and they quiver. Stroke them and they clench, using artificial muscles under their silicone skin. A built-in microphone detects slaps,” the daily said.
Takahashi, a student of Electro-Communication, said the mechanical buttocks are one of the first robots that can convey emotions like fear, joy and relaxation.
The inventor hopes to use the proto-type technology to develop responses that can be applied to other parts of a robot’s body, in particular the face.
Takahashi programmed his creation, called “SHIRI” or “butt” in Japanese, to respond with different emotions to different human touches.
He said he decided to develop his technology with a rear end because a bottom’s movements are large and make it easier to convey emotion, the daily said.
“Fear is a very human, very living, emotion. So it’s expressed with force, with a spank,” he said.
The silicon-coated bottom responds to a hit with quivering. A slow wobble is its default state, the sign for relaxation, while a gentle stroke brings about clenches that Takahashi said mean pleasure.
The robot butt contains a skin of silicone over a foam structure, under which lie artificial muscles that be inflated or deflated to simulate different moods.
Also tucked inside is a microphone that detects when the cheeks are being touched, rubbed or slapped and responds accordingly.
- Robot therapy can improve arm, shoulder mobility in stroke patients - Feb 11, 2011
- Aimi Eguchi is the latest pop star in Japan - Jun 24, 2011
- Scientists create robot which registers human emotions - Jul 16, 2012
- Robot that can fall in love may end woes of lonely hearts! - Nov 20, 2010
- Now, a robot that will understand emotions - Aug 24, 2012
- New approach brings robot pets closer to reality - Sep 18, 2010
- Man wanted in US for slashing women's bottoms - Sep 18, 2011
- Wearing leggings could do more harm than good - May 02, 2011
- Artificial muscle may offer ray of hope to patients with facial paralysis - Jan 19, 2010
- Forget facelift and tummy tuck, bum lift is the latest cosmetic craze! - Sep 28, 2010
- Scientists design earthworm-like robot - Aug 10, 2012
- Police Start Investigation After Buttocks Enhancement Injection Leads To Woman's Death - Feb 10, 2011
- New Therapy can ease irritable bowels - Jul 19, 2011
- Kids spanked by mothers more aggressive - Jun 23, 2011
- Artificial muscles made of hydrogen can make domestic robots silent - Oct 21, 2009
Tags: artificial muscles, buttocks, cheeks, daily mail, default state, emotion, emotions, gentle stroke, graduate student, inventor, moods, proto type, rear end, relaxation, robot, shiri, silicone, tokyo university, type technology, wobble