Japanese bank to roll out palm scanning ATMsApril 15th, 2012 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 15 (IANS) Last year thousands of quake victims fled homes in Japan, leaving their cash cards behind in the hurly burly of survival. Luckily, one bank has the answer, ATMs that use a palm-scanner to issue money.
The announcement follows a trial started in December by Kraft of the iSample vending machine, which uses a biometric scanner to ‘read’ the age and gender of people standing in front of it, and will serve adults, but refuse children.
The two machines went on trial in Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium and New York’s South Street Seaport. The biometric technology is already under test by companies such as Gillette, the Daily Mail reported.
The scanner uses biometric data to ‘guess’ the age of people standing in front of it, dividing adults into four ‘age brackets.’ Other software has already been shown to be able to ‘guess’ ages to an accuracy of around five years.
Biometric security systems on home laptops, meanwhile, are becoming increasingly popular. HP’s new DV6 and DV7 machines, for instance, both feature finger-scanning security.
- Airport body scanners banned by EU over cancer fears - Nov 17, 2011
- Pennsylvania Wine Lovers Can Now Enjoy Wine From Wine Vending Machines - Aug 08, 2010
- Myra Kraft dies at the age of 68 years - Jul 20, 2011
- Biometric identification technology 'inherently available' - Sep 25, 2010
- NWFP Govt. wasted millions in procuring 'inefficient' explosive scanners - May 16, 2010
- New Zealander charged with stealing millions - Jan 05, 2012
- Tedy Bruschi Still Remains An Icon For New England Patriots - Dec 07, 2010
- Wine Vending Machines Tested In Pennsylvania - Aug 08, 2010
- Chennai cops bust drug-smuggling attempt at airport - May 14, 2010
- ATMs Selling Gold Bars Coming To USA - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Vennela 1 1/2' will have live interval - Sep 17, 2012
- Iris scans to ensure smooth sailing at airports - Jun 22, 2012
- Vended snacks 'lead to chronic health problems in kids' - Sep 03, 2010
- Naked body scanners in British airports? - May 04, 2012
- Strange cults are back in the news (The Funny Side) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: accuracy, adults, age brackets, biometric data, biometric technology, cash cards, daily mail, dv6, gillette, hurly, japanese bank, laptops, palm scanner, quake victims, s south, security systems, shedd aquarium, south street seaport, survival, vending machine