Japan tsunami waves crush boats on US coastMarch 12th, 2011 - 5:12 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar.12 (ANI): Tsunami waves from Japan’s massive earthquake have damaged boats on the US West Coast and left one man missing after racing thousands of miles across the Pacific.
Cindy Henderson, an emergency services manager in Crescent City, said: “We have at least 35 boats that have been crushed. We have boats on top of other boats.”
The US Coast Guard said there has been damage to about six boats in the marina in Santa Cruz, after they collided due to the buffeting tsunami waves.According to the News Straits Times, Santa Cruz Port director Lisa Ekers has estimated the damage to be worth more than 10 million dollars.
Tsunami waves have sparked mass evacuations on Hawaii and the US West Coast. Surges of 8 feet high crashed ashore on the coasts of California and Oregon, triggered tsunami alerts in dozens of countries across the Pacific.
Before reaching the US mainland the tidal waves hit Hawaii, which had been given only four hours to evacuate low-lying areas, sirens blared as locals and tourists scrambled to higher ground.US President Barack Obama said he was monitoring the tsunami threat to his home state Hawaii and the US West Coast. He called Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan to offer condolences and help.He said: “My understanding is that the main assistance that we’re going to be able to provide them is lift capacity: the ability for us to help in the cleanup.” (ANI)
- Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, tsunami watches for U.S. coastlines - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan tsunami alert sparks evacuations across Pacific - Mar 12, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Tsunami warnings issued for Hawaii, California and Oregon - Mar 11, 2011
- Five people washed away off US coast by Japan tsunami - Mar 12, 2011
- Over 20 aftershocks hit Japan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- The day that shook Japan - Mar 11, 2012
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- 14 aftershocks hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- US escapes Japan tsunami, says Obama (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Tsunami warnings and advisories issued for U.S. states after Chile quake - Feb 27, 2010
- Japan shaken: survivors look for missing kin, n-meltdown feared (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: barack obama, cindy henderson, cleanup, coasts, condolences, crescent city, ekers, emergency services, higher ground, japan tsunami, japanese prime minister, mass evacuations, massive earthquake, news straits times, port director, sirens, tidal waves, tsunami threat, tsunami waves, us coast guard