Japan tsunami-hit town to move 1100 evacuees to other areasApril 3rd, 2011 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
Minamisanriku (Japan), Apr.3 (ANI): The town office of Minamisanriku, one of the coastal communities hardest hit by the tsunami that followed the 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan on March 11, has decided to move around 1100 residents to other areas in Miyagi Prefecture.
The said residents are those who have accepted the town’s offer of mass evacuation among the 9400 residents taking shelter at local facilities.
Those moving are scheduled to gather at the Beachside Arena, the biggest of the 45 shelters in the town, from where they will be sent to Tome, Kurihara and Osaki and Kami where shelters for 3400 residents have been secured.
The town had proposed its initial offer of new shelters to 1120 of the 1400 residents, who were willing to evacuate collectively. Priority was given to elders and relocation of community units, but about 20 residents declined the offer as the shelters offered differed from what they wanted, Kyodo News reports.
Town officials are planning to conduct a second survey of the residents’ wishes soon. (ANI)
- Japan faces nuclear fallout, quake toll may be 10,000 (Intro Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
- 2,000 bodies found in northeastern Japan - Mar 14, 2011
- Japan quake toll may cross 10,000, no nuclear meltdown (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011
- Japan royal couple visit tsunami-hit town Minamisanriku - Apr 27, 2011
- 2000 bodies found on Japan prefecture sea shore - Mar 14, 2011
- Strong eruptions from Japan's Shinmoedake prompts evacuations - Feb 01, 2011
- Quake-hit Japan faces nuclear crisis, toll may cross 10,000 (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2011
- Japan toll may cross tens of thousands, fears of nuclear disaster remain (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Death toll in tsunami hit Japan tops 10,000 two weeks after disaster - Mar 25, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan quake death, missing toll crosses 1700 - Mar 12, 2011
- 6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning lifted - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan tsunami toll likely to rise over 1,600 - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan Tsunami: More than 2000 people still missing - Sep 12, 2012
- Japan: Thyroid gland irregularities found in evacuated youths from Fukushima - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,