Japan, Russia seek to resolve territorial disputesMay 12th, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, May 12 (RIA Novosti) Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Moscow and Tokyo could resolve their existing territorial dispute by building mutual trust and developing strong economic ties.
Putin, who arrived in Tokyo Monday, said he was in Japan to discuss a long-standing territorial dispute, along with economic, energy and international issues with the Japanese leadership.
“With this attitude in mind, our mutual work will allow us to resolve a number of global issues, including the signing of a peace treaty (between Russia and Japan),” Putin told a Russian-Japanese business forum here.
Russia and Japan have yet to sign a formal World War II peace treaty due to their territorial dispute over the four South Kuril Islands, former Japanese territory annexed by the Soviet Union after the war.
The Russian prime minister said both countries were interested in developing strong economic ties, primarily in the energy sector.
“Cooperation in the energy sector, which plays a key role in steady supplies of fuel-carriers to the Asia-Pacific region and strengthening the global energy security, remains our priority,” Putin said.
Japan is one of Russia’s major trading partners in Asia, ranking third in terms of bilateral trade. Last year trade turnover between the two countries totalled almost $29 billion.
- Russian defense minister visits disputed islands - Feb 04, 2011
- Russia refutes peace deal with Japan at APEC summit - Sep 02, 2012
- Russia imposes entry ban on Japanese officials for comments on islands dispute - Mar 03, 2011
- Russia says U.S. intervention in Kuril Islands dispute with Japan is unacceptable - Feb 25, 2011
- Russian warplanes interrupt US-Japan drill - Dec 09, 2010
- Russian President Medvedev visits disputed islands, angering Japan - Nov 01, 2010
- PM to focus on energy, economy during India-Russia summit (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Russia for compromise over island dispute with Japan - Nov 01, 2008
- Energy, economy high on PM's agenda in Russia - Dec 15, 2011
- Pakistan, Japan reaffirm resolve to strengthen efforts against terrorism - Feb 23, 2011
- India, Japan to revive nuclear talks, seal currency swap (Roundup) - Dec 29, 2011
- India announces PM's visit to Russia Dec 15-17 - Dec 08, 2011
- Japan PM's visit to push stalled n-deal talks - Dec 18, 2011
- India, Japan to talk n-deal talks, currency swap (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Putin lauds India's global role, seeks new vistas of cooperation - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: asia pacific region, bilateral trade, economic energy, economic ties, energy sector, energy security, fuel carriers, japanese business, japanese territory, kuril islands, major trading partners, peace treaty, ria novosti, russian prime minister, sector cooperation, territorial dispute, territorial disputes, trade turnover, vladimir putin, world war ii