Japan quake, tsunami toll tops 12,000April 3rd, 2011 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The toll in the magnitude 9 quake that triggered a giant tsunami in Japan has surpassed 12,000 while nearly 15,500 were unaccounted for, the Kyodo news agency reported Sunday.
The twin disaster that hit Japan March 11 also triggered a number of explosions at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, which caused radioactive leak.
Over 165,000 people have been evacuated from the disaster zone and accommodated in temporary refuge centres across the country.
The Japanese government has said the damage from the disaster could total $310 billion.
Meanwhile, Russian emergencies services said Sunday that radiation levels are within the norm in Russia’s Far East and the danger of radioactive pollution in the region following the nuclear crisis at Fukushima is unlikely.
- Japan struggles to cool n-reactors, toll crosses 12,000 (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Japan's quake-tsunami toll nears 13,800 - Apr 17, 2011
- 'Japan has no plans to dump spent nuclear fuel abroad' - May 10, 2011
- Japan quake-tsunami toll tops 14,700 - May 01, 2011
- Dangerous radiation level at Fukushima No.1 reactor detected - May 10, 2011
- Toll from Japan quake nears 15,000 - May 10, 2011
- Japan lifts milk restrictions from areas near n-plant - May 01, 2011
- TEPCO to cleanup radioactive debris from n-plant by July - Apr 25, 2011
- Work resumed on Fukushima plant power supply, cooling - Mar 24, 2011
- Radioactive levels at Fukushima lower than earlier reported:Kyodo - Mar 28, 2011
- Toll in Japan earthquake rises to 15,500 - Jun 27, 2011
- Japan raises Fukushima accident level to worst - Apr 12, 2011
- Japanese royal couple to visit Fukushima - May 11, 2011
- Radiation level drops in Japan's troubled n-reactor - May 08, 2011
- Tokyo operator to be banned from Fukushima n-plant - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: disaster zone, emergencies, explosions, far east, giant tsunami, japan march, japan quake, japanese government, kyodo news agency, magnitude 9, march 11, nuclear crisis, nuclear power plant, quake tsunami, radiation levels, radioactive leak, radioactive pollution, ria novosti, tsunami in japan, tsunami toll