Japan quake survivors look for relativesMarch 12th, 2011 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Washington/Tokyo, March 12 (IANS) Those who survived the massive earthquake that rocked Japan Saturday desperately tried to get in touch with their loved ones in the areas that were slammed by a huge tsunami.
Many were unable to contact their relatives in areas located in Miyagi prefecture that bore the brunt of the disaster.
Lucy Craft, who is based in Tokyo, said her son studies in a school in Sendai city.
“The phone lines are still down … I haven’t been able to get in touch with him by cell phone, I haven’t been able to contact anybody there. I have his teacher’s phone number … the phones aren’t working,” Craft told CNN in Tokyo.
“It’s a very upsetting situation, as you can imagine.”
The earthquake measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale triggerd a tsunami that hurtled through coastal areas of Japan, leaving 1,000 people dead.
A large number of buildings collapsed and over 200 fires broke out. Hundreds of people went missing while tens of thousands were displaced.
Many residents left their earthquake-affected areas Saturday to look for basic essentials. People shopped for food, water and fuel, causing stores to run out of supplies and pumps to run dry.
- Japan shaken: survivors look for missing kin, n-meltdown feared (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan disaster toll 1,600, nuclear meltdown feared (Evening Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- 206 fires erupt in Japan after quake - Mar 12, 2011
- 54 Aussies stuck in Japan quake zone - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Power supply restored in quake-hit Japan city - Mar 12, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Japan quake toll may cross 10,000, no nuclear meltdown (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 14, 2011
- 'No food or water, but Miyagi residents not panicking' - Mar 13, 2011
- Japan tsunami toll likely to rise over 1,600 - Mar 12, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Japan faces nuclear fallout, quake toll may be 10,000 (Intro Roundup) - Mar 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,