Japan paid Solomons for whaling supportMarch 8th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, March 8 (DPA) Solomon Islands Prime Minister Derek Sikua confirmed Saturday what had long been suspected: Japan bought support for its so-called “scientific whaling” programme in the International Whaling Commission (IWC). Speaking in Honiara in a joint press conference with Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, Sikua said the South Pacific country had not sent a representative to the IWC meeting currently under way in London.
“We are not attending because usually Japan pays for our attendance, but we refused their assistance and therefore we have not gone because we can’t afford it,” he said.
Meanwhile in Canberra, Australian police have been asked to examine claims that Japanese whalers fired shots at Sea Shepherd anti-whaling protesters during a clash in Antarctica.
Japan has challenged Sea Shepherd leader Paul Watson to let Australian police examine a bullet he claimed lodged in his bullet-proof vest Friday.
“It’s difficult, if not impossible, to make judgments about the validity or the weight of claim or counterclaim in the southern ocean many thousands of miles away,” Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said.
“The Australian Federal Police are cooperating with Japanese authorities in evaluating previous incidents, and I assume this most recent incident will also be subject to that and will also be evaluated.”
- Clash Between Whalers And Activists Raises Controversy - Feb 19, 2010
- Whales waylay Australia, Japan relation - Feb 20, 2010
- Activists' boat damaged in clash with Japanese whalers - Jan 06, 2010
- Japan suspends whale hunt - Feb 17, 2011
- "Whale Wars" On Television For The Third Season - May 29, 2010
- Paul Watson skips bail in Germany - Jul 26, 2012
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- "Whale Wars" Joined By EarthRace - Oct 29, 2009
- Japan Relieved At Blue-fin Tuna Ban's Failure - Mar 22, 2010
- Greenland allowed to hunt humpback whales - Jun 25, 2010
- Macca backs Norway whaling protest - Jun 22, 2010
- Russia to send mission to assess Sea of Japan nuclear contamination - Apr 16, 2011
- Soviet whaling secretly decimated humpback whale population - Sep 02, 2009
- North Korea accuses Japan of illegal whaling - Feb 02, 2011
- Coastal whales threatened by 'bycatch whaling' - Jun 24, 2009
Tags: australian federal police, australian police, australian prime minister, bullet proof vest, counterclaim, foreign minister, honiara, international whaling commission, japanese authorities, japanese whalers, judgments, kevin rudd, paul watson, protesters, scientific whaling, sea shepherd, solomon islands, southern ocean, stephen smith, sydney march