Japan on alert for possible major tsunami (Lead)February 28th, 2010 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Feb 28 (DPA) Hundreds of thousands of Japanese households in Pacific coastal areas were ordered to evacuate Sunday after warnings of a possible “major” tsunami produced by the Chilean earthquake.
Shortly before 4 p.m. (0700 GMT), waves of 120 centimetres reached Kuji port in northeastern Japan, the highest observed so far. No victims and serious damages were reported.
Waves between 10 and 90 centimetres were recorded in northern coastal areas. The Meteorological Agency maintained the warnings, saying larger waves could still come.
The agency issued the alert Sunday morning for the entire Pacific coast, urging people to head immediately to higher ground.
It warned that waves as high as 3 metres could hit parts of the Pacific coast, as well as coastal areas of the Sea of Japan in Aomori Prefecture and at Okinawa, the subtropical island about 1,500 km southwest of Tokyo.
The warning halted train service in coastal areas, including the Tokyo metropolitan area. The Coast Guard urged ships operating in the coastal areas to evacuate.
Yasuo Sekita, chief of the weather agency’s earthquake and tsunami observation section, said it might keep the warnings in place, because “the second and third waves could be bigger than the first waves”.
In May 1960, a major tsunami struck the coasts of Japan’s northern island Hokkaido and northern Pacific coastal areas after a powerful magnitude 9.5 earthquake in Chile, leaving around 140 people dead or missing.
- Japan bracing for up to 3-metre tsunami - Feb 28, 2010
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alert after Chile quake - Feb 28, 2010
- 320,000 evacuated from eastern Japan following Tsunami alert - Feb 28, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, local tsunami warning issued (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, local tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Japan issues tsunami warning for islands after powerful earthquake - Dec 22, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake hits off Japan - Dec 22, 2010
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, tsunami watches for U.S. coastlines - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: coasts, earthquake in chile, entire pacific, higher ground, hokkaido, japanese households, magnitude 9, meteorological agency, metropolitan area, northeastern japan, northern coastal areas, okinawa, pacific coast, pacific coastal, prefecture, sea of japan, subtropical island, train service, weather agency, yasuo