Japan issues tsunami alert after Chile quakeFebruary 28th, 2010 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Feb 28 (IANS) The Japan Meteorological Agency Sunday issued a major tsunami alert for its Pacific coast after a powerful earthquake struck Chile, Xinhua reported.
The tsunami alert is issued for the pacific coast of Aomori, Miyagi and Iwate prefectures in northeast Japan. Waves of up to three meters high are expected in the areas and “everyone near the coast must evacuate to higher ground”, it said.
The tsunami is also expected to hit Hokkaido and Izu-Ogasawara islands around 1 p.m. followed by other areas, the agency said in a public broadcast.
A magnitude 8.8 earthquake struck Chile Saturday, killing more than 200 people.
- Japan bracing for up to 3-metre tsunami - Feb 28, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes off northeastern Japan, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2011
- Tsunami warnings in effect after major earthquake hits off Japan - Dec 22, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Powerful quake strikes off Japan, tsunami warning canceled - Dec 22, 2010
- Japan issues tsunami warning for islands after powerful earthquake - Dec 22, 2010
- 320,000 evacuated from eastern Japan following Tsunami alert - Feb 28, 2010
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Over 20 aftershocks hit Japan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- 6.5 magnitude quake rocks northeastern Japan, tsunami warning lifted - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: aomori, broadcast, chile, higher ground, hokkaido, izu, japan meteorological agency, magnitude, miyagi, northeast japan, ogasawara islands, pacific coast, powerful earthquake, prefectures, quake, tokyo, tsunami, tsunami alert, waves, xinhua