Japan earthquake moves its coastline by 13 feetMarch 14th, 2011 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
Tokyo, Mar.14 (ANI): Massive 8.9 quake in Japan has moved its coastline as much as 13 feet, averaging eight feet along a stretch measuring 300 miles, according to the Geographical Survey Institute.
According to Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology it has also shifted the Earth on its axis by 10 inches.
Some waves reached six miles inland in Miyagi Prefecture on Japan’s coast.
Kenneth Hudnut, geophysicist in U.S. Geological Survey’s Earthquake Hazards Program in Pasadena, said: “At this point, we know that one GPS station moved, and we have seen a map from GSI in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass.”
When an 8.8 earthquake hit Chile in 2010, NASA scientists said it also tilted the Earth’s axis, although much less, at only 2.7 milliseconds of arc, which shortened days by a microsecond, said Richard Gross, a researcher at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
The New York Daily News quoted him as saying: “The movement is linked to the release of the strain that builds up when one tectonic plate grinds against another in a subduction zone.”
Andrew Miall, University of Toronto geology professor said: “Ten inches sounds like quite a lot when you hold a ruler in front of you”, “But if you think of it in terms of the Earth as a whole, it’s absolutely tiny: it’s minute.”
The quake and tsunami which struck Japan has killed hundreds of people, created 30-foot walls of water that swept across rice fields, engulfed entire towns, dragged houses onto highways and tossed cars and boats like toys. (ANI)
- Japan quake shifted Earth 4 inches on its axis - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan quake moved coast by 13 feet - Mar 14, 2011
- 7.2 Magnitude Earthquake Moved California City By 31 Inches - Jun 28, 2010
- Chile quake shifted Earth axis to shorten length of a day, says NASA - Mar 03, 2010
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- Massive tsunami claims over 100 lives in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- How far South American cities moved in Chile quake - Mar 09, 2010
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan moved by 2.4 metres due to quake: US Geological Survey - Mar 13, 2011
- California City Moved 31 Inches South By Major Earthquake! - Jun 28, 2010
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits western Japan, unrelated to major 8.9 jolt - Mar 12, 2011
- India's preparedness to tackle quakes should be reviewed: Geologists - Mar 16, 2011
- Chile's Megathrust Earthquake Changed The World - Mar 15, 2010
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,