Japan deploys 100000 troops for quake and tsunami helpMarch 13th, 2011 - 3:37 pm ICT by ANI
Tokyo, Mar.13 (ANI): Japan has doubled its troop to 100000 on rescue and relief missions after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunami hit the country on Friday.
The deployment ordered by Prime Minister Naoto Kan ordered the deployment of the additional troops after the massive scale of the damage became clearer.
Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa said the 100,000 troops - about 40 per cent of the armed forces, would be fully deployed in a day or two, News.com.au reports.
He said: ” There are so many people who are still isolated and waiting for assistance. This reality is very stark.”
In the small port town of Minamisanriku alone more than 10000 people, more than half the population has been reported missing.
The Police and military have reported finding hundreds of bodies along the shattered coastline.
Aid and help in rescue operations has been offered to Japan from all over the world, including China and New Zealand, which suffered its own earthquake tragedy last month in Christchurch. (ANI)
- Earthquake, tsunami death toll estimates rise in Japan - Mar 14, 2011
- Condition at Fukushima n-plant improving: Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- At least 91 dead, scores missing after quake, tsunamis devastate Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japanese PM says small amounts of radioactive material leaked from plant - Mar 12, 2011
- Massive tsunami claims over 100 lives in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Disaster management operations on: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
- Over 20 aftershocks hit Japan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- 2000 bodies found on Japan prefecture sea shore - Mar 14, 2011
- Massive tsunami kills 23 in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Over 2,400 deaths confirmed in Japan - Mar 15, 2011
- 14 aftershocks hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- PM condoles loss of life in Japan earthquake, offers help - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan's nuclear plant may be experiencing meltdown (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan shaken: survivors look for missing kin, n-meltdown feared (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Quake caused huge damage: Japan PM - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: armed forces, coastline, defense minister, deployment, japan, kitazawa, magnitude earthquake, massive scale, naoto kan, new zealand, news com au, population, prime minister, quake, relief missions, rescue operations, tokyo, toshimi, tragedy, tsunami