Japan, China to discuss oil rights, climate changeMay 7th, 2008 - 12:28 pm ICT by admin
Tokyo, May 7 (DPA) Visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao met Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda Wednesday in summit talks that were expected to address long-disputed oil and gas rights in the East China Sea as well as climate change and food poisoning caused by China-made frozen dumplings. As the first Chinese head of state to visit Japan in a decade, Hu also met Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at their Tokyo palace Wednesday.
The main purpose of Hu’s five-day visit was to strengthen “strategic and mutually beneficial relations” and continue thawing ties that froze in 2005 over then-prime minister Junichiro Koizumi’s repeated visits to the Yasukuni Shrine, which honours Japan’s war dead, including convicted war criminals from World War II, during which Japan occupied China.
Fukuda and Hu, who arrived in Tokyo Tuesday, were to issue a joint statement, which would be the fourth document the two nations would sign since their relations were normalised in 1972.
Japan and China were also expected to issue a statement on climate change to meet Japan’s proposal to halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
The statement was to mention China’s effort to halve its carbon dioxide emissions as Japan plans to encourage the emerging economy to “more positively respond to and actively participate” in the global challenge posed by climate change by providing technology and other know-how on energy efficiency.
- Japan marks 63rd anniversary of end of World War II - Aug 15, 2008
- Japan, China partners, not rivals: Chinese president (Lead) - May 08, 2008
- Japanese royal couple to visit Fukushima - May 11, 2011
- Japan royal couple visit tsunami-hit town Minamisanriku - Apr 27, 2011
- China, Japan to work on overall relations - May 05, 2008
- Two Japanese ministers defy PM, visit shrine - Aug 15, 2012
- Obama pledges to maintain alliance with Japan (Lead) - Nov 13, 2009
- US conservatives lash out at Obama's bow to Japanese emperor - Nov 17, 2009
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study - May 14, 2012
- Eating wisely can lower carbon footprint: Study (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Japanese emperor celebrates 20 years of enthronement - Jan 07, 2009
- Have faith in India, PM tells Japan's investors - Oct 22, 2008
- India, China open year of friendship, push boundary solution (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- China looking for common ground with US: President Hu - Jan 17, 2011
- US vice president to visit China, Japan - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: beneficial relations, carbon dioxide emissions, chinese head, chinese president hu jintao, climate change, east china sea, emperor akihito and empress michiko, greenhouse gas emissions, hu jintao, japan china, japanese prime minister, junichiro koizumi, president hu jintao, prime minister junichiro koizumi, summit talks, tokyo palace, war criminals, world war ii, yasukuni shrine, yasuo fukuda