Jankovic shrugs off ranking danger after upset lossJanuary 25th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 25 (DPA) World number one Jelena Jankovic suffered a 1-6, 4-6 loss to Marion Bartoli which put her top WTA ranking in danger at the Australian Open Sunday.”I just started slow, I was completely not moving my feet,” said Jankovic. “I was late on many shots, I was really not there for some reason.
“I don’t know why. When I tried to focus and get into the match, things just didn’t work out for me.”
The ouster in the fourth round opens the door for Jankovic rivals Dinara Safina, Elena Dementieva and Serena Williams to take over the summit should one of them lift the title next Saturday.
“It doesn’t matter because it’s just the beginning of the year, and there are many more tournaments to play,” said Jankovic, her trademark smile still in place.
“Maybe the ranking will change, (we have) the whole year ahead of us. There are a lot of tournaments, a lot of battles out there.”
Top seed Jankovic was hammered in a 31-minute opening set and found herself in a battle in the second against France’s 2007 Wimbledon finalist.
The pair traded breaks, with Bartoli winning a marathon ninth game in which Jankovic saved three break points before firing a backhand into the net, 4-5.
Bartoli claimed the upset a game later with a backhand winner, her 34th, which eliminated the world number one.
The winner profited on five of her dozen break point chances as she improved her record against Jankovic to 4-3.
“I’ll try to forget it as soon as possible, of course,” said Jankovic, who was playing only her first event of the season. “It’s not so easy when you lose, especially like this, but it’s part of the game.
“You have to just keep going forward and keep learning and improving. That’s all.”
- Jankovic will watch contenders jockey for her No.1 ranking - Jan 26, 2009
- US Open: Azarenka overcomes Stosur to reach semis (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Fighting Federer recovers from the depths to reach quarter-finals - Jan 25, 2009
- Jankovic outlasts Lisicki, Safina cruises past Hantuchova - May 01, 2009
- Serena Williams stays on top of WTA rankings - Feb 08, 2010
- Pennetta stuns Jankovic again for Stuttgart semis berth - May 02, 2009
- Injured Safina pulls the plug, Williams back to number one - Oct 29, 2009
- Jankovic, Venus get lucky for Doha semi-final spots - Oct 31, 2009
- WTA rankings unchanged as Serena Williams stays on top - Feb 15, 2010
- Safina outlasts Pennetta, meets Kuznetsova in final - May 03, 2009
- Henin outlasts Jankovic, Safina crashes out at Stuttgart - May 01, 2010
- Williams pair split in Doha - Oct 28, 2009
- Serena Williams tops WTA rankings - Apr 12, 2010
- Safina stays top in WTA rankings; Dementieva, Wozniacki move up - Sep 21, 2009
- Clijsters returns into WTA top 10 after Miami triumph - Apr 05, 2010
Tags: australian open, backhand, break point, break points, dinara safina, dpa, elena dementieva, game, jelena jankovic, marathon, marion bartoli, match, melbourne, ouster, rivals, serena williams, smile, summit, wimbledon, wta ranking