Jamie How called as cover for Daniel FlynnMarch 24th, 2009 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Napier, March 24 (IANS) New Zealand have called batsman Jamie How as cover for injured Daniel Flynn for the second cricket Test against India starting Thursday.
Flynn sustained an injury on his left hand while batting in the first Test against India.
“Medical tests Tuesday showed no indication of any fracture, but the hand is swollen, affecting Flynn’s ability to bat,” New Zealand Cricket (NZC) said in a statement.
Flynn will continue to receive treatment and will be further assessed Wednesday before any decision is taken on whether he plays in the Test.
Off-spinner Jeetan Patel, who took six for 137 for Wellington in the State Championship match against Otago, returns to the squad.
Fast bowler Iain O’Brien also suffered a side strain during the first Test but is hopeful of recovering in the next couple of days.
New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori was keen on inclusion of Jacob Oram in the squad but the selection panel led by Glenn Turner felt otherwise.
Turner said Oram was excluded because he was yet to regain full match fitness.
“He’s only had a couple of days in the domestic competition, and after talking with him we agree he’d need more game time to be match fit,” Turner said.
New Zealand squad: Daniel Vettori (captain), Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Tim McIntosh, Brendon McCullum (wicket-keeper), Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Iain O’Brien, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Jamie How.
- New Zealand drops Fulton for Napier Test - Dec 07, 2009
- Arnel misses debut chance; Kiwis announce mostly unchanged squad for second test - Mar 23, 2009
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Fast bowler Southee included in New Zealand squad - Mar 31, 2009
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- Martin gets 'surprise' New Zealand Cricket contract renewal - Jul 20, 2010
- Daniel Vettori wins toss, puts India in to bat in third Test - Apr 03, 2009
- Black Caps select pace bowler Arnel for first Test against India - Mar 12, 2009
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- India wins toss, to bat against New Zealand - Nov 04, 2010
- Comeback star Bond propels New Zealand to 32 run win over Pakistan in first Test - Nov 28, 2009
- New Zealand names two uncapped players for India Tests - Oct 24, 2010
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
Tags: brendon mccullum, captain daniel, chris martin, cricket test, daniel vettori, domestic competition, first test, game time, glenn turner, guptill, jacob oram, james franklin, jeetan patel, kyle mills, new zealand cricket, o brien, ross taylor, selection panel, tim mcintosh, wicket keeper