Jamaica to drop athlete for positive dope testJuly 29th, 2008 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, July 29 (Xinhua) A member of the Jamaican athletics team would be removed from its Olympic team after testing positive for a banned substance, president of the Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA) Mike Fennel said. According to information reaching here from Kingston, Fennel Monday refused to give the name of the athlete who tested positive at the national trials last month but said “he was not a big name”.
Fennel said he had received the report from the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) verbally but was waiting to see it “in black and white” before releasing to the local media.
President of the Caribbean Regional Anti-Doping Organisation Adrian Lorde recently criticised Jamaica for not having an operational anti-doping agency of its own because of which Jamaica has been forced to rely on the IAAF to watch after their track stars.
According to Fennel, this year 96 tests have been done on Jamaican athletes.
Athletes who test positive for banned substances have two weeks to send a backup sample for test; if this test is also positive, the athlete faces a two-year ban.
- Jamaica defends its anti-doping programme - Aug 18, 2012
- Jamaican sprinter Mullings gets lifetime ban for doping offence - Nov 22, 2011
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Jamaican sprinter Mullings faces life ban - Nov 18, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Cuba's Olympic athletes declared free of doping - Jul 12, 2012
- BOA recommends changes to world anti-doping code - Apr 12, 2012
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- American sprinter Rodgers banned for doping - Mar 02, 2012
- Indian athlete fails dope test: Fennell - Oct 13, 2010
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- Indian athlete Rani Yadav fails dope test - Oct 13, 2010
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Olympic champion Bolt starts season with home event - Apr 18, 2012