Jaipur blasts suspect held in Delhi

May 22nd, 2008 - 12:58 am ICT by admin  

New Delhi, May 21 (IANS)A man suspected to be involved in the Jaipur serial blasts, which killed at least 61 people and injured more than 200, was arrested here late Wednesday, police said. The man, whose identity was not revealed, was held from Chelmsford Road in New Delhi at around 8.30 p.m.

Detained on the basis of intelligence inputs, the suspect is said to belong to the Bangladesh-based terror outfit Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI).

“We have arrested the man but no arms and ammunition were recovered. We are currently interrogating him,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Alok Kumar told IANS.

Nine bomb blasts at eight sites rocked Jaipur May 13, killing at least 61 people and injuring 210.

Investigating agencies suspect the role of the HuJI possibly with help from Bangladeshi immigrants settled in Rajasthan.

The Rajasthan police last week released sketches of seven suspects, but their features failed to match the accounts provided by the shopowners who sold the cycles to the bombers.

The help of an expert has been sought to redraw the sketches of the suspected bombers.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |