Jailed Russian complains of discrimination in USMay 24th, 2012 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 24 (IANS) A former Russian pilot, who is serving 20 years in prison in the US for attempted drug trafficking, has complained of racial and religious discrimination against him.
Konstantin Yaroshenko, being held in the Federal Correctional Institution in Fort Dix near New York, claimed that his life is in jeopardy and has called on the Russian justice ministry to intervene urgently, RIA Novosti reported citing the Izvestia daily.
Yaroshenko said he was concerned about the “particular attitude” two other inmates and the administration have towards him.
He was arrested in Liberia in northwest Africa along with Nigerian national Chigbo Peter Umeh in an undercover operation in May 2010. Both were taken to the US where Umeh was sentenced to 30 years and Yaroshenko to 20 years behind bars. The sentence was appealed in September.
The Russian foreign ministry confirmed the submission of Yaroshenko’s appeal. He also requested his repatriation to his country.
Only one Russian convicted in the US, former UN diplomat Vladimir Kuznetsov, sentenced for money laundering, has ever returned home.
- Russian drug dealer's accomplice gets 30 years in jail - Jul 29, 2011
- Russian pilot jailed in US for drug trafficking - Sep 08, 2011
- Russia to crack down on prisoners' mobile phones - Aug 07, 2012
- US hires private firms for 'dirty work': Russian diplomat - Aug 29, 2012
- Russia to seek repatriation of man extradited to US - Aug 20, 2010
- Russia condemns US crackdown on Occupy movement - Dec 14, 2011
- Crew members found alive aboard missing Russian ship - Nov 17, 2011
- Russia, US may ease visa regime 'in foreseeable future' - Mar 30, 2011
- US, Germany 'deeply concerned' about Russian tycoon's 'illegal' conviction - Dec 28, 2010
- Russian club owner jailed over blaze that killed 156 - May 15, 2012
- Moscow to spend about $892 mn on hospitals' renovation - Apr 25, 2011
- Goa legislator gets one year jail - Apr 27, 2011
- Former Panama dictator Noriega extradited to France - Apr 27, 2010
- Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout extradited to U.S. - Nov 16, 2010
- Russia choose low-ranked players for Davis Cup tie - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: diplomat, drug trafficking, federal correctional institution, fort dix, inmates, izvestia daily, jeopardy, justice ministry, konstantin, may 24, money laundering, moscow, northwest africa, novosti, religious discrimination, repatriation, russian foreign ministry, umeh, undercover operation, vladimir