Jailed Brit Muslims sue after being fed ham sandwichesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:57 am ICT by admin
The mix-up was said to have happened after prisoners were given their special nightly menus and they saw that one of the options was a ‘boiled ham sandwich’.
Any variant of pork is strictly forbidden according to Muslim teachings.
After complaining to wardens, the prisoners were told the menus were a mistake. Many ordered cheese sandwiches instead, but some claimed they were still delivered ham sandwiches and ended up eating them because they were so hungry.
Lawyers estimate that each offended inmate could receive as much 10,000 pounds as compensation if the claim is proved. Taxpayers will end up footing the bill.
The Ministry of Justice, however, insists that none of the prisoners were forced to eat ham.
“An inappropriate menu card was printed during Ramadan. This mistake was rectified immediately. Appropriate menu options for the Iftar evening meal were available throughout Ramadan. Prison services guidelines state that prisoners must have a diet which meets the requirements of their religion,” a ministry spokesman was quoted, as saying. (ANI)
- Pakistanis outraged as Pizza Hut scraps Ramadan offer - Aug 08, 2012
- KFC scraps controversial halal only menu after mass Brit boycott - Jun 26, 2010
- At least 3 killed in southern Thailand prison riot - Sep 05, 2011
- UAE's finance ministry hosts Iftar - Aug 18, 2011
- Eight dead in Britain after eating hospital sandwiches - Aug 22, 2012
- UAE Red Crescent hosts Iftar parties in Jerusalem - Aug 31, 2011
- Man calls 911 over a wrong sandwich - Jun 18, 2012
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Aloo chaat, wada pao knock beef cutlets off menu (Eating Out With IANS) - Aug 23, 2011
- 50,000 Palestinians attend UAE's iftar programme - Aug 20, 2012
- Mexico plans to build eight prisons - Feb 23, 2012
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Oz Muslim students bully 11-year-old kid for eating a salami sandwich - Nov 13, 2009
- Dieters misled by food names end up eating more unhealthy foods - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: brit, cheese sandwiches, daily mail, footing, ham sandwich, menu options, menus, ministry of justice, ministry spokesman, mistake, muslim, muslims, prison services, prisoners, ramadan, services guidelines, strictly forbidden, taxpayers, wardens