Jail term over, 55 not deported from UK: Indian-origin MPAugust 10th, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS) At least 55 criminals of foreign nationalities, who had served terms in Britain and were to be deported, are still languishing in jails at the government’s cost, an Indian-origin MP has said.
Many of the inmates are in Wandsworth prison in south London, the Daily Express reported, quoting Tory MP Priti Patel.
They should have been deported long back but were not identified by faulty officials of the UK Border Agency (UKBA).
This has cost the taxpayer an average of 40,000 pounds to keep a criminal in jail for a year.
“This is very alarming. It’s bad enough these criminals are serving sentences in this country at our expense, without them staying here a day longer than they should. The failure of the last government to get a grip on the situation has been allowed to spiral out of control. We must deport these vile criminals back to their countries,” Patel was quoted as saying.
- Don't use British jails as hotels: Indian-origin MP - Aug 09, 2012
- Britons are lazy: Indian-origin MP - Aug 18, 2012
- 4,600 criminals let off in Britain: Indian-origin MP - Sep 14, 2012
- EU court allows asylum seekers to stay - Dec 22, 2011
- Indian-origin lawmaker faces racist attack from jailed UK axe killer - Feb 07, 2011
- Indian-origin MP faces racist attack in Britain - Feb 06, 2011
- Britons appalled as criminals not deported: Indian-origin MP - Sep 08, 2011
- 300 criminals untraceable in Britain: Indian-origin MP - Jun 26, 2011
- Execute arrest warrants: Indian-origin British MP - Mar 03, 2012
- Britain bribes foreign prisoners to return homes - Nov 11, 2010
- Get back capital punishement: Indian-origin British MP - Aug 24, 2011
- Indian-origin man jailed for life in Britain - Jun 09, 2011
- Jailed Pakistan cricketers face deportation from Britain - Nov 12, 2011
- Indian-origin MP condemns release of sleep-hit burglar - Nov 19, 2011
- Labour MP distracts members at PM's Questions with low-cut blouse - Apr 29, 2011