Jaguar, Land Rover looking for India dealershipsDecember 8th, 2008 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 8 (IANS) Tata Motors, owner of Jaguar and Land Rover (JLR), is helping the luxury car brand set up its dealership network in India.Ravi Kant, Tata Motors managing director, told the Financial Times: “Our sales and marketing department has helped facilitate a visit by the senior people (from Jaguar and Land Rover). They have come, they have seen and they are putting some plan in action.”
Tata Motors is now exploring the domestic market in India after the success of Land Rover in China and Russia.
The move also comes at a time when the Tatas are trying to refinance a $3 billion bridge loan used for the takeover, leading to downgrades by credit ratings agencies.
In spite of the credit crunch in Britain, which has affected Land Rover sales in the country, Jaguar is doing well, going by the sales figures of its new models released recently.
“In the current situation, I would prompt them to be (in India) sooner than later because they would like to find one more avenue to sell more,” Kant said.
He suggested that Tata Motors also facilitate other opportunities for its new subsidiary, particularly Land Rover, in areas such as defence. Tata Motors is already a significant supplier to India’s defence industry.
However, he said that while Tata Motors faced “cyclical pressures” similar to other producers, it was on track to bounce back. The group was spending $4-5 billion to revamp its range, a move he said was essential to reviving sales.
- Jaguar-Land Rover eyes booming China market - Jul 06, 2012
- Tata's Jaguar Land Rover, China's Chery in joint venture - Mar 21, 2012
- Jaguar Land Rover opens first plant in India - May 27, 2011
- S&P; raises Tata Motors ratings - Jul 09, 2012
- Tata Motors Group's November sales up 35 percent - Dec 15, 2011
- Tata Motors scrip down on concerns over JLR - May 30, 2012
- Tata Motors registers a profit of rupees 6.5 billion in December quarter - Feb 27, 2010
- Tata Motors global sales up 26 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
- Jaguar Land Rover to invest 355 mn pounds on engines - Sep 19, 2011
- Tata Motors' May sales up 12 percent - Jun 15, 2012
- Tata Motors global sales grows 27 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
- Jaguar Land Rover to hit Indian roads in June (Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Tata Motors to build 2,000 Land Rovers a year in Pune plant - Mar 02, 2011
- Tata Motors, JLR to collaborate on R&D; - Sep 07, 2011
- Tata Motors June global sales down one percent - Jul 15, 2011