J-K has never been an integral part of India: PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:44 am ICT by admin
He said that in a situation of foreign occupation, no electoral exercise can be considered as constituting an exercise of the right to self-determination.
That is why the Security Council in its Resolution 122 of 1957 declared that no Constituent Assembly could be constituted without the consent of the people of Kashmir through a free and impartial plebiscite conducted under the auspices of the UN, Kasuri added.
Kasuri said Pakistan does not need advice, certainly not from India, either on self-determination or on democracy.
“We shall refrain from commenting on India’s ‘democratic credentials,’ which are, at best, highly tarnished. Suffice it to say that in a democracy, all citizens are a willing part of a state. The Kashmiri people are not. Although the Jammu and Kashmir dispute is an international issue, it has been agreed to address this bilaterally through composite dialogue (with India),” he said.
Earlier, during the committee’s proceedings, Oraon had insisted that Pakistan’s call for self-determination for the Kashmiri people was “unwarranted and completely irrelevant” to the committee’s work.
Pakistan would have been better served by focusing on giving the right of self-determination and democracy to its own people, the Daily Times quoted Oraon, as saying. (ANI)
- India rebuffs Pakistan's "unwarranted" attempt to raise Kashmir at UN - Oct 11, 2011
- Krishna slams Qureshi over his Kashmir remarks at UN General Assembly - Sep 29, 2010
- Pakistan raising Kashmir as a diversionary ploy: Krishna - Sep 29, 2010
- Pakistan seeks UN intervention to resolve Kashmir issue - Sep 29, 2010
- Pak to continue moral, diplomatic support to Kashmiris - Oct 10, 2010
- Kasuri's 'Kashmir issue near resolution claim' nothing but 'delusion': Observers - May 11, 2010
- Pakistan decides to grant MFN status to India: Khar (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Now, Pak accuses India of giving birth to suicide bombings via LTTE in South Asia - Oct 01, 2010
- Pakistan observes Kashmir Solidarity Day today - Feb 05, 2011
- India warns Pak against interfering in Kashmir - Sep 17, 2010
- Pak determined to highlight Kashmiris right to self-determination: Qureshi - Sep 17, 2010
- Pakistan registers concern on Fai arrest with US embassy - Jul 22, 2011
- Pak back to singing K-issue settlement through UN resolution tune - May 04, 2010
- Zardari visit: Pakistan hopes for peace; says no compromise on Kashmir - Apr 05, 2012
- India, Pakistan were 'near Kashmir dispute resolution' during Musharraf regime: Kasuri - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: ahmad raza, auspices, bilaterally, committee, composite dialogue, constituent assembly, democracy, democratic credentials, electoral exercise, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian delegate, international issue, irrelevant, jammu and kashmir, kashmir dispute, kashmiri, plebiscite, self determination, suffice it to say