I’ve raised my confidence: DjokovicMarch 16th, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Indian Wells (California), March 16 (DPA) Defending champion Novak Djokovic continued to rebuild his fragile confidence with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Argentine Marcel Vassallo Arguello to move into the third round of the Indian Wells Masters.
“This year hasn’t started maybe the way I thought I would, but now I’ve raised my confidence in a higher level,” said the 2008 Australian Open champion Sunday.
“Winning there meant a lot for my confidence level and for my game overall,” said Djokovic.
Third seed Djokovic broke three times in his win over Vassallo Arguello in an hour and three-quarters, saving both of the break points he faced.
“Winning this first match, it’s never easy, I played against a solid opponent,” said the Serb who beat Mardy Fish for the 2008 title. “He made me work from the baseline. But I played as much as I needed to, and I’m happy to get through.”
Fish was not so lucky, hooked by up-and-coming Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-1), the number 48 who lost to the American in the Delray semi-finals late last month.
“The kid’s good, it was a terrible draw for me,” lamented Fish. “I played extremely well last week in the semis against him.
“I won 10 of the last 12 games against him there. But he certainly played a lot better. He served a ton better today and didn’t give me very many break points.”
Argentine sixth seed Juan Del Potro opened with a victory over American Ryan Sweeting 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-1, while Spanish 12th seed David Ferrer eliminated another countryman in Todd Widom 6-4, 7-5.
The US lost a third minor player as Nicolas Kiefer dispatched Bobby Reynolds 6-4, 6-2. Swiss 16th seed Stan Wawrinka beat Italian Andreas Seppi 6-1, 6-3.
On the women’s side, Russian fourth seed Vera Zvonareva reached the fourth round over Petra Kvitova 6-3, 6-1, while Danish ninth seed Caroline Wozniacki stopped fellow north European Kaia Kanepi of Estonia 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
- Indian Wells: Nadal, Djokovic advance to third round - Mar 16, 2009
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Wimbledon: Del Potro sinks Nishikori - Jul 01, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Djokovic cruises past Ferrer in Miami - Mar 30, 2012
- Federer throttles Mathieu to enter second week of US Open - Sep 05, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Federer, Djokovic rally to advance into last 8 at French Open - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: andreas seppi, australian open champion, bobby reynolds, break points, caroline wozniacki, confidence level, david ferrer, defending champion, del potro, indian wells california, jeremy chardy, kaia kanepi, mardy fish, nicolas kiefer, novak djokovic, ryan sweeting, sixth seed, three quarters, todd widom, vera zvonareva