It’’s hard to describe how happy I am, says BindraAugust 11th, 2008 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing , Aug 11 (ANI): Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra today said that it’’s hard to describe how happy he was after his achievement.
Speaking at a press conference here, Bindra said, I just went for it. I knew I was lying in fourth. Thankfully, it went my way and I just went for it.”
I was not thinking about making history in India with a first individual gold medal. I was just trying to concentrate on shooting. I was just trying to shoot good shots. I wanted to shoot well and shoot aggressively. And that’’s what I did,” he added.
Bindra won the gold medal in men”’’s 10-meter air rifle event after earning a total of 700.5 points.
Earlier, Abhinav, who became the first Indian individual gold medallist at the Olympics, had qualified for the men”’’s 10m air rifle event finals. He finished the qualifying event joint fourth with Romania ”’’s George Alin Moldoveanu after the duo shot a score of 596/600.
He scored a series of 100,99,100,98,100 and 99 in the qualifiers.
However, India ”’’s other medal hope Gagan Narang failed to make the final cut in the same event finishing ninth with a score of 595/600. He shot a series of 97, 100, 100, 100, 98 and 100.
Abhinav, who was the youngest Indian participant at the 2000 Olympic Games, won six gold medals at various international meets in 2001. In the Air rifle event at the 2002 Commonwealth Games, Manchester , he won gold in the Pairs event and silver in the individual event. At the 2004 Olympic Games, he broke the Olympic record but failed to win a medal.
He is a recipient of the Arjuna award in 2001 and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award for the year 2001-2002. (ANI)
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins India's first medal a bronze (India Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG: Indian shooters bag 2 golds, silver too in the kitty (Afternoon lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Bindra wins silver in Asian Airgun Championship - Oct 19, 2011
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan wins bronze, Saina advances (Intro Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG shooting: India fire at gold twice from the range (Second Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- Olympics: first medal in, hopes alive in badminton and tennis (Overall India Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Vice President congratulates Olympic gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra - Aug 11, 2008
Tags: 10m air rifle, 2004 olympic games, alin, beijing, commonwealth games manchester, final cut, gold medal winner, gold medallist, gold medals, moldoveanu, olympic games, olympic gold medal, olympic record, olympics, pairs event, participant, rajiv gandhi, recipient, romania, year 2001