It’s great to bat with McCullum, says GayleApril 21st, 2009 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
Durban, April 21 (IANS) After setting up a match-winning opening stand for Kolkata Knight Riders, Chris Gayle said Tuesday that it is a great experience for him to open the innings with skipper Brendon McCullum.
Gayle hit a quickfire 44 in just 26 balls and along with Kiwi batsman McCullum (21) added 57 runs for the first wicket that helped Knight Riders open their account in the Twenty20 league with a 11-run win over Kings XI Punjab via the Duckworth-Lewis Method.
“It is a great experience to open the innings with a player like McCullum. He takes the pressure off you with his exciting playing style,” Gayle said.
The West Indies player said that it was great to get a win after suffering a humiliating eight-wicket loss against Deccan Chargers Saturday night.
“Happy with the result but thought the spectators would have wanted a full game. Today the conditions were tough and it was more suited for the fast bowlers. It was very crucial for us to see through the first two overs to set our eye. But after that, run scoring was easy for the batsmen,” he said.
McCullum also gave the credit to Gayle for setting up the superb win.
“Nice to get a result go our way, and this win should give us some momentum. We thought a score of 150-160 was par on this ground, but Gayle got us off to a superb start. It could have been a potentially close game, but for the rain,” he said.
A dejected Kings XI captain Yuvraj Singh said that it was bowling department that needs to be sorted out
“It’s a bit unfortunate, but we also dropped a catch and that let them get ahead. Batting looked pretty good but we need to sort out our bowling. It’s a similar start like last year, but we need to push on from here,” he said.
- Gayle powers RCB to victory over Kochi Tuskers (Roundup) - May 08, 2011
- Gambhir guides KKR to sixth win - May 01, 2012
- Gambhir guides Knight Riders to sixth win in IPL (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- RCB hopes to build winning momentum (Preview) - Apr 09, 2012
- Super Kings will look to sustaining winning streak at home - May 17, 2011
- Knight Riders edge past Warriors by 7 runs (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Knight Riders cruise to eight-wicket win over Kings XI Punjab (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Knight Riders manage 150 against Pune at Eden derby - May 05, 2012
- Warne lauds Rajasthan Royals for giving gutsy performance against Kochi Tuskers - Apr 25, 2011
- Knight Riders beat Super Kings in a rain-marred match (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
- Royal Challengers beat Knight Riders by four wickets - May 14, 2011
- Kochi Tuskers register first IPL win at home (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Knight Riders set 159-run target for Super Kings - May 14, 2012
Tags: bowling, chargers, chris gayle, deccan, duckworth lewis method, durban, fast bowlers, full game, kiwi, knight riders, momentum, punjab, quickfire, saturday night, skipper, spectators, west indies, wicket, xi captain, yuvraj singh