It’s for Colombia to defuse tension: VenezuelaMarch 26th, 2008 - 7:11 pm ICT by admin
Caracas, March 26 (Prensa Latina) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said it is for Colombia to take steps for easing the tension in the region triggered by its recent incursion into Ecuadorian territory. Chavez made the remarks during a luncheon with foreign journalists Tuesday.
He said some elements in the government in Bogota and the media are trying to stir up a war.
He denied that Venezuela was involved in the crisis and insisted that restoration of normalisation in bilateral relations depended on Bogota.
Colombian Army March 1 in a cross border operation raided a hide-out of leftist insurgent group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in Ecuadorian jungles, which provoked a huge regional tension with Venezuela and Ecuador mobilising their armies along their borders with Colombia.
At least 23 members of the leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), including the group’s second-in-command Raul Reyes, were killed in the raid.
Besides Venezuela, Ecuador and Nicaragua had also severed ties with Colombia.
The crisis was however defused during a summit meeting at Rio de Jeneiro in Dominical Republic and a resolution condemning the cross border operation was adopted.
Chavez blamed the US for the present crisis.
- Car bombing injures 29 soldiers in Colombia - Feb 04, 2011
- 22 rebels killed in Colombia - Sep 20, 2010
- Colombian rebels kill 12 soldiers - May 22, 2012
- Venezuela freezes relations with Colombia - Jul 30, 2009
- Ecuador, Colombia to restore ties - Nov 14, 2009
- Venezuela sends envoy back to Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- 13 Colombian rebels killed in airstrike - Nov 16, 2010
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- Ecuador, Colombia unfreeze relations - Feb 12, 2010
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- South American nations upset over US plans for Colombia - Aug 08, 2009
- Chavez hails Colombian hostage rescue, wishes talks with Uribe - Jul 04, 2008
- 10 rebels killed in Colombia - May 18, 2010
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
Tags: bilateral relations, colombian army, cross border, dominical republic, farc, hugo chavez, incursion, insurgent group, jungles, normalisation, prensa latina, president hugo chavez, raul reyes, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, rio de jeneiro, summit meeting, venezuela prensa, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez