ITF rejects Pakistan’s plea for neutral Davis Cup venueMarch 28th, 2009 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, March 28 (IANS) The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has rejected Pakistan’s demand to shift its Davis Cup second-round tie against the Philippines to a neutral venue, the country’s tennis chief said Saturday.
Dilawar Abbas, the Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF) president, told IANS that he has received a letter from the ITF boss that the tie will have to be played in Manila this July.
“We have been told by the ITF that according to their rules and regulations, the Davis Cup tie cannot be shifted to a neutral venue and will be played in Manila,” said Abbas.
The July 10-12 ties was supposed to be hosted by Pakistan in Lahore but was switched to Manila after the Philippines raised security concerns about playing in Pakistan. Its request was accepted by ITF in the wake of the terrorist attack on Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore.
Pakistan strongly opposed the move and asked the ITF to reconsider the decision. However, after their plea was rejected, the PTF demanded that the tie should be moved to a neutral venue like Malaysia or Singapore.
Pakistan said it is concerned about its players’ safety in the Philippines - a country that is also dogged by violence.
However, ITF said that after a security review of the Philippines the federation reached the conclusion that Manila was a safe venue for the Davis Cup tie.
In reply, the PTF has sought a security plan for its players that would be prepared by Philippines within the next few weeks.
- Pakistan to demand compensation from ITF - Mar 16, 2010
- Lebanon agrees to play Davis Cup tie in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- ITF shifts Davis Cup from Pakistan to Hong Kong over security concerns - Dec 23, 2010
- Pakistan questions Philippines' security after Davis Cup switch - Mar 18, 2009
- Fate of Pakistan Davis Cup tie to be decided later this month - Mar 20, 2009
- Pakistan again loses the right to host Davis Cup tie - Dec 11, 2009
- Pakistan to resist shifting of Davis Cup tie to Manila - Mar 13, 2009
- Now, Pak's Davis Cup tie against Hong Kong shifted from Lahore over security fears - Dec 12, 2009
- ITF refuses Davis Cup tie in Pakistan - Dec 22, 2010
- US-based coach to train Pakistan's Davis Cup team - Apr 10, 2011
- Pak opposes New Zealand's request to shift Davis cup matches to neutral venues - Mar 09, 2010
- PTF demands compensation as Pakistan-Oman Davis cup tie shifted - Jan 02, 2009
- 'Pakistan tennis suffering because of cricket board' - Jul 23, 2010
- Pak tennis players being denied Kiwi visas for July Davis Cup tie - Jun 29, 2010
- Pak female players to play in Fed Cup after gap of 12 years - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: abbas, cup venue, davis cup, davis cup tie, dilawar, international tennis federation, itf, karachi, lahore pakistan, neutral venue, omar khalid, philippines, plea, ptf, reply, security concerns, security plan, security review, sri lankan cricketers, terrorist attack