Italy’s ancient gladiator training centre collapsesNovember 7th, 2010 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 7 (IANS) An ancient building, which was used by Roman gladiators as their training centre, has collapsed, officials said.
The building in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii collapsed Saturday morning, Sky News reported quoting the office of Pompeii’s archaeological superintendent. The site was closed to the public at the time and no one was hurt.
Pompeii and thousands of its inhabitants were buried under volcanic ash in 79 A.D. when Mount Vesuvius erupted in the southern Italian town. Since then, the site has been a major tourist attraction.
The 40 square metre space was used by gladiators for training and practicing before going to fight in a nearby amphitheatre.
Known by its Latin name Schola Armaturarum Juventus Pompeiani, the structure was not open to visitors but was visible from outside as tourists walked along one of the ancient city’s main streets.
The cause of collapse was not known though reports suggested water infiltration following heavy rains might be responsible.
- House of Gladiators in Pompeii collapses - Nov 07, 2010
- Unesco to help Italy preserve Pompeii - Dec 01, 2011
- Most of Pompeii site at risk of collapse - Nov 10, 2010
- Mismanagement caused Pompeii disaster: Italian minister - Nov 11, 2010
- Second Pompeii structure collapses - Dec 01, 2010
- Another building collapses at ancient Pompeii - Dec 01, 2010
- World's deadliest volcano in Africa waiting to explode - Mar 31, 2011
- Pompeii to offer live excavation experience to visitors - Feb 28, 2010
- Gladiators' burial ground found in Britain - Jun 08, 2010
- Pompeii red is actually yellow - Sep 23, 2011
- Pompeii's mystery horse is actually a donkey - Nov 04, 2010
- Archaeologists discover Roman gladiator cemetery near York city centre - Jun 07, 2010
- Three lesser-known sites in Rome show Pompeii destroying volcanos explosive might - Sep 01, 2008
- Bones of gladiator provide clues to York's Roman amphitheatre - Dec 11, 2010
- Ancient Chinese forest found under volcanic ash - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: ancient roman city, collapse, gladiator, heavy rains, inhabitants, italian town, juventus, latin name, main streets, major tourist attraction, morning sky, mount vesuvius, pompeii, roman gladiators, saturday morning, sky news, square metre, vesuvius, volcanic ash, water infiltration