Italy to launch woman astronaut in 2014July 4th, 2012 - 8:28 am ICT by IANS
Rome, July 4 (IANS) An Italian woman astronaut has been assigned for the first time for a mission aboard the International Space Station (ISS), Xinhua reported Tuesday.
Astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti will be launched into space on a Soyuz spacecraft from Kazakhstan in 2014.
Cristoforetti, 35, a captain in the Italian Air Force, is now being trained on the Russian Soyuz spacecraft, robotics and spacewalks.
“The past three years as a European astronaut have been an amazing time of personal and professional growth,” she said.
“I am now excited to continue this journey with the objective of serving Italy and Europe as a crewmember of the International Space Station,” she added.
Cristoforetti will be part of a six-member international crew aboard the ISS.
- Sunita Williams arrives at her new home in space - Jul 17, 2012
- Space station crew land safely in Kazakhstan (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- Soyuz spacecraft lands safely in Kazakhstan - Sep 18, 2012
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Three ISS crew members to return Friday - Sep 13, 2011
- US, Russian astronauts arrive at space station - Jun 18, 2010
- Russian spacecraft returns to earth - Jul 02, 2012
- Russia launches manned spacecraft - Apr 05, 2011
- Sunita Williams takes fifth spacewalk (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Russian space agency names next crew to ISS - Oct 25, 2011
- Russia's manned spacecraft docks with ISS - Dec 24, 2011
- Russia's Soyuz spacecraft docks with ISS - Oct 10, 2010
- Russia launches space freighter - Oct 31, 2011
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: europe, european astronaut, international crew, international space station, italian air force, italian woman, italy, journey, july 4, kazakhstan, objective, professional growth, robotics, rome, russian soyuz spacecraft, space station iss, spacewalks, woman astronaut, xinhua