Italy to join race to host Euro 2016March 4th, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, March 4 (DPA) Italy has confirmed its interest in making a bid to host football’s European Championships in 2016.
The Italian federation FIGC will officially declare its interest to continental body UEFA by the deadline next Monday.
FIGC president Giancarlo Abete was quoted by Italian media as saying there had been informal contacts with the Italian government, which has given the thumbs up for a bid.
Italy failed in its bid to host Euro 2012 when Poland and Ukraine were chosen as joint hosts.
Because the first step of the bidding procedure is a mere show of interest, Abete said that financial aspects were not discussed with the government.
“The procedure has changed compared to Euro 2012, and (countries) don’t have to present, from the outset, a complete dossier, but only show their interest to organise the event, providing some initial data,” Abete said.
“UEFA, by April 1, will issue a shortlist (of bidders). The dossier will have to be presented by Feb 15, 2010, and (UEFA) will decide on May 27 of the same year.”
Italy were disconcerted when UEFA assigned Euro 2012 to Poland and Ukraine, but Abete said he was convinced that things will be different for Euro 2016.
“There can be two different political choices (from UEFA),” the president said about FIGC’s previous unsuccessful bid.
“Either invest in a traditional country or open for the first time to eastern Europe, as it was done in that occasion, although Italy had a better dossier.”
Other countries looking to organise the tournament are France, Turkey and, as joint hosts, Sweden and Norway.
On Sunday, Wales and Scotland abandoned plans for a joint bid, citing the economic downturn. With the event to be expanded from 16 to 24 teams from 2016, the two federations said the costs would have been prohibitive.
- Wales and Scotland abandon Euro 2016 bid, Italy considers bid - Mar 03, 2009
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- Euro 2012 ticket design unveiled in Ukraine - Apr 24, 2012
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- Georgia, Azerbaijan to jointly bid for Euro 2020 - Mar 07, 2012
- Euro 2012 organisers to open volunteers training centre - Apr 20, 2012
- Azerbaijan joins Georgia in joint bidding for Euro 2020 - May 26, 2012
- UEFA hails Ukraine, Poland Euro 2012 success - Jun 19, 2012
- France chosen to host Euro 2016 - May 28, 2010
- France, Italy in run to host Euro 2016 - Mar 11, 2009
- Euro 2012 soccer trophy arrives in Ukraine - May 12, 2012
- Russia cracks down on Euro 2012 ticket touting - May 27, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racism - Jun 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: april 1, bidders, bidding procedure, body uefa, dpa, eastern europe, economic downturn, euro 2012, euro 2016, figc, financial aspects, giancarlo abete, initial data, italian federation, italian government, italian media, outset, political choices, rome march, shortlist