Italy returns Orthodox Church to RussiaMarch 2nd, 2009 - 1:07 am ICT by IANS
Bari (Italy), March 1 (RIA Novosti) Russian President Dmitry Medvedev who travelled to the southern Italian city of Bari Sunday received a symbolic key to Italy’s Russian Orthodox Church from President Giorgio Napolitano.
The handover of the church complex was agreed upon between the two countries in March 2007. On April 17, the city council of Bari unanimously voted to hand the 100-year-old church to the Italian government so it could subsequently become Russian property.
A century ago Grand Princess Elizaveta Fyodorovna first raised the idea of building the church to welcome Russian pilgrims in Bari, the burial place of St. Nicolas, one of the most revered Orthodox saints.
The construction of the complex, which was built with charitable donations, was suspended due to World War I and the Russian Revolution in 1917.
In 1937, the church buildings and the land, totaling 8,000 square meters, were handed to Bari’s municipal authorities.
- Italy approves economy stabilisation law - Nov 13, 2011
- Putin returns to Kremlin amid protests (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Goa set to welcome Don Bosco's body relic - Aug 09, 2011
- Italian president holds talks on new government - Nov 13, 2011
- Italian singer dies while on tour - Mar 02, 2012
- Italian PM Berlusconi resigns - Nov 13, 2011
- Italian marines 'unjustly' held in India: President - Jun 08, 2012
- Imam demands Islamic crescent moon symbol on Russian emblem - May 01, 2011
- Italian president warns of wave of violence - May 24, 2012
- We are in the G8 of sport: Italian Olympic panel chief - Aug 14, 2012
- Don't stone Iranian woman: Italian president - Sep 08, 2010
- Russia needs new system of defence procurement - May 09, 2012
- Mario Monti becomes Italy's interim Prime Minister - Nov 14, 2011
- Mario Monti sworn in as Italian premier - Nov 17, 2011
- No compromise on trial of Italian marines: Krishna - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: bari italy, burial place, charitable donations, church buildings, dmitry medvedev, elizaveta, giorgio napolitano, grand princess, handover, italian city, italian government, municipal authorities, orthodox saints, ria novosti, russian orthodox church, russian president, russian revolution in 1917, square meters, st nicolas, symbolic key