Italy quake toll rises to 250April 8th, 2009 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
L’Aquila (Italy), April 8 (DPA) Following a night of cold and further misery in central Italy the death count since Monday’s earthquake has risen to 250, authorities said Wednesday.
Officials said the death toll could rise as workers continued to find people buried under buildings which collapsed during the earthquake that registered between 5.8 and 6.2 on the Richter scale.
Strong aftershocks continued to shake the region, making rescue operations difficult.
Eleven of the bodies pulled from the rubble remain unidentified.
Authorities have asked relatives and friends of missing people to gather at a makeshift mortuary located near a shopping mall in the city of L’Aquila to see if they could identify the loved ones among the dead.
Authorities said they were considering a proposal by the city’s archbishop to hold a state funeral for the victims Friday.
People who abandoned their homes in the wake of the tremor suffered further discomfort Tuesday night as temperatures dipped to below five degrees Celsius.
By Wednesday morning, some 2,000 tents were housing 17,000 people, most of whom relocated from L’Aquila’s city centre and neighbouring towns, including Onna and Paganica, all of which were severely damaged by the earthquake.
Another 3,000 people were staying at hotels in other towns of the Abruzzo region, considered safe from the aftershocks which have caused more buildings to crumble in the worst hit areas.
Police also evacuated the 140 inmates held at a prison in L’Aquila overnight.
Among those transferred to other prisons were several high security detainees serving life sentences, including convicted murderers such as mafia boss Salvatore Madonia and Red Brigades terrorist Nadia Desdemona Lioce, the ANSA news agency reported.
- Four killed in Italy quake - May 20, 2012
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to 278, state funeral Friday - Apr 09, 2009
- Italy mourns quake victims in Good Friday ceremony - Apr 11, 2009
- Magnitude-5.8 quake strikes Italy, deaths feared (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Italy quake toll goes past 90 - Apr 06, 2009
- Tourism hit in Italian region struck by quake - Apr 10, 2010
- Italy quake death toll rises to 228 - Apr 08, 2009
- Clooney film to help quake-hit Italian region: Director - Sep 29, 2010
- Italian quake toll reaches 179 (Second Lead) - Apr 07, 2009
- Search for Italy's quake victims continues - Apr 11, 2009
- Several killed in Italy quake; death toll may rise - Apr 06, 2009
- Earthquake in Italy causes damage - Dec 16, 2009
- Italian PM, transsexual prostitutes in nativity scene - Nov 26, 2009
- Italy remembers L'Aquila earthquake victims - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: abruzzo region, aftershocks, ansa news agency, aquila italy, central italy, death count, desdemona lioce, five degrees, high security, life sentences, madonia, mafia boss, missing people, mortuary, neighbouring towns, onna, quake toll, red brigades, rescue operations, state funeral