Italy probes Milan’s ‘Horror Clinic’June 10th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Milan (Italy), June 10 (DPA) Italian authorities Tuesday began interrogating suspects linked to a private Milan clinic where unnecessary surgery, allegedly performed to obtain state money, is believed to have led to the deaths of five patients. Investigators uncovered the alleged plot, involving 14 doctors at the Santa Rita clinic and its owner, after intercepting telephone conversations.
Medical records seized at the clinic were also found to have been falsified to motivate operations, with some 88 patients subjected to unnecessary surgery over the past two years, prosecutors say.
The police Monday took into custody two senior doctors while other suspects were served with house arrest orders.
Charges include manslaughter, causing bodily harm and fraud committed against Italy’s national health system.
Prosecutors estimate illicit profits at the San Rita clinic amounted to some 2.5 million euros ($3.9 million).
Riziero Scocchetti, 72, told the La Repubblica newspaper, he became suspicious when his 65-year-old sister, who had been diagnosed with incurable breast cancer, had a lung removed at the Santa Rita clinic just eight days before she died in December 2006.
“I begged the doctors to let her die in peace, instead they went ahead with the operation … even if everyone knew she wasn’t going to make it,” Scocchetti told the Rome-based daily.
One 21-year-old woman, identified only by the name Domenica, had a breast removed three years ago in a mastectomy which prosecutors believe was performed for the sole purpose to claim state funds.
“If all this is true, then we would be facing something which is horribly criminal,” Lombardy Region President, Roberto Formigoni, said.
Investigators say the use of phone taps was crucial in uncovering the alleged scam, adding fuel to a controversy in Italy around plans by the government to limit such forms of surveillance.
Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has repeatedly criticized magistrates for what he calls the “excessive use” of telephone interceptions, specifying they should be restricted to investigations involving the Mafia and terrorism.
- Breast reconstruction helps women regain sexual wellness - Oct 24, 2011
- Saboteurs spill 600,000 litre oil in Italy river - Feb 25, 2010
- Berlusconi 'may have paid for boob and lip jobs of 'bunga bunga' girls' - Mar 01, 2011
- Teenaged dancer asked Berlusconi for 5 mn euros for her silence - Jan 19, 2011
- Berlusconi lawyers say new 'bunga bunga' claims are false - Apr 14, 2011
- Another under-age girl in Berlusconi's bunga bunga scandal - Jan 28, 2011
- 'Berlusconi had sex with underage Moroccan 13 times' - Mar 16, 2011
- Berlusconi calls for judicial reform, new immunity law - Feb 19, 2011
- Less Invasive Breast cancer surgery gives new hope for patients - Sep 25, 2010
- Link between breast implants and rare form of cancer confirmed - Apr 20, 2011
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- UK breast surgeon faces probe after 'cleavage-saving' op leaves cancer behind - Feb 18, 2011
- Berlusconi dismisses new escort claims as trash (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Personality traits affect quality of life following breast reconstruction - Jan 04, 2011
- Lymph node removal 'not always needed in early-stage breast cancer' - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: bodily harm, breast cancer, five patients, illicit profits, italian authorities, italy probes, lombardy region, mastectomy, milan italy, national health system, phone taps, prime minister silvio, prime minister silvio berlusconi, roberto formigoni, san rita, santa rita, silvio berlusconi, state money, telephone conversations, unnecessary surgery