Italy cruise ship survivors to get compensationJanuary 27th, 2012 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 27 (IANS) Passengers on the wrecked Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia will receive a compensation lump sum of 11,000 euros (around $14,000) each, the Italian Association of Tour Operators said in a statement Friday.
The vessel struck rocks and rolled onto its side in shallow waters off an island near Italy Jan 13, leading to a panicky evacuation and at least 16 deaths.
As many as 16 people are still missing from the 4,200 people onboard the cruise ship.
The decision was reached during a meeting between Costa Cruises and consumer groups, CNN reported.
The compensation will be paid to each passenger regardless of age, the association said.
The company will also set up a psychological counselling programme for passengers who request it, the statement said.
It said separate agreements will be reached with passengers who were injured and needed treatment at the scene, and with the families of those who died.
The ship’s captain, Francesco Schettino, faces possible charges of manslaughter, shipwreck and abandoning ship.
Schettino has admitted he made a “mistake” in colliding with the rocks off the island of Giglio.
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- 29 missing in Italian cruise shipwreck - Jan 17, 2012
- 200 Indians passengers of capsized Italian liner returning - Jan 19, 2012
- Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise liner - Jan 17, 2012
- Italian cruise tragedy: 17 Indians return, others on way - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 75 Indians return, rest on way - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 23 Indian survivors return to Mumbai - Jan 20, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: cnn, consumer groups, costa concordia, costa cruises, cruise ship, deaths, italian association, italy, lump sum, manslaughter, mistake, rocks, rome, schettino, shallow waters, shipwreck, survivors, tour operators