Italian town prohibits use of blasphemous phrasesFebruary 12th, 2011 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Brignano Gera d’Adda (Italy), Feb 12 (IANS/AKI) The northern Italy town of Brignano Gera d’Adda has approved a measure that bans the use of blasphemous words and phrases from public and business premises.The council, dominated by the conservative Northern League party, approved the measure forbidding curses including “God”, “Jesus”, and “Mary” in the town of 6,000 inhabitants in the Lombardy region.
“We live in a Catholic country and we would like that all places of worship and recreation are maintained with a certain respect and decorum,” Brignano Gera d’Adda mayor Valerio Moro said.
The council took on the issue following complaints by a local priest that he continuously overheard local youngsters take the name of God in vain.
The new rule is largely symbolic, carrying no punishment for violators.
- 180 fake paintings seized in Italy - May 04, 2012
- Italian town allows owners to be buried with pets - Sep 07, 2012
- Italian teacher held for giving passing grades for sex - Jun 28, 2012
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- Mayor in Italy gets 10 kg trash - Jul 02, 2011
- Italian town considering ban of miniskirts, low-cut tops for clean image - Oct 22, 2010
- 'Berlusconi had sex with underage Moroccan 13 times' - Mar 16, 2011
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Sharon Stone to attend Miss Italy final - Aug 18, 2010
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- 2,000-year-old Roman ship found - Aug 07, 2012
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- 3,400 fake disabled, poor found in Italy - Aug 07, 2012
- Cost-cutting measures fall short: Italy's central bank chief - Oct 13, 2011
- Court overturns Church's annulment of 20-year marriage - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: adda, business premises, catholic country, curses, decorum, god jesus, inhabitants, italian town, jesus and mary, league party, lombardy region, moro, name of god, northern italy, phrases, places of worship, valerio, youngsters