Italian tanker with 17 Indians hijackedFebruary 8th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 8 (IANS) An Italian oil tanker with 17 Indians on board was hijacked Tuesday by pirates in the Indian Ocean, authorities said.
According to the Italian Marine Corps, the captain tried to evade capture by speeding up and aiming powerful water jets on the pirates’ skiff, Xinhua reported.
At least five pirates fired rockets and machine guns at the 266-metre Savina Caylin and they were believed to have seized control of the tanker, said Cosimo Nicastro, captain of an Italian coast guard frigate which is heading to the region and expected to reach there in two days.
No one was injured in the attack, which took place at about 0625 GMT some 800 km off the coast of India and about 1,300 km off the coast of Somalia, he said.
The ship, owned by Naples-based Fratelli D’Amato SpA shipbuilders, has a crew of five Italians and 17 Indians.
- Italian tanker seized by Somali pirates freed - Dec 22, 2011
- Pirates seize Italian ship off Oman - Apr 21, 2011
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- Somali pirates free 8 Indian crew, 7 still held hostage (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Ship owners ask Somali pirates to release seven Indians (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Another menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Feb 06, 2011
- Trying to contact pirates with 7 Indians: Ship owners - Apr 17, 2011
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- Pirates target two tankers near Kerala coastline - Jun 19, 2011
- Shrill media voices adversely affecting Somalian hostage crisis - Mar 12, 2011
- Indian Navy saves Chinese ship from pirates (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- Somali leader backs Indian action against pirates (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
Tags: caylin, coast guard, cosimo, frigate, indians, italian coast, italian oil, italian tanker, italians, machine guns, marine corps, naples, nicastro, oil tanker, pirates, rockets, shipbuilders, skiff, water jets, xinhua