Italian ship set to leave

May 5th, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS  

Kochi, May 5 (IANS) Italian ship M.V. Enrica Lexie, anchored off the Kerala coast since two Marines aboard it shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15, will resume its journey Saturday with 24 people on board, the counsel of its owners said here.

Speaking to IANS, counsel V.J. Mathew said that they have already got the clearance from the customs and were awaiting the green signal from the Cochin Port Trust, which is expected anytime now.

The ship will leave minus the two marines — Massimilano Latorre and Salvatore Girone - who have been in judicial custody since Feb 20.

“Very soon, the ship will resume its journey and on board are 24, of which 19 are Indians. We have deposited a demand draft of Rs.3 crores with the high court registrar general because he did not agree to a bond for the same amount as directed by the apex court. We are considering moving contempt on this issue and will also inform the apex court,” said Mathew.

Indian fishermen Ajesh Binki (25) and Gelastine (45) were mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the two marines off Alappuzha.

Last week, the Italian authorities reached an out of court settlement by paying Rs.10 million each to the families of the killed fishermen and Rs.1.7 million to the boat owner J. Freddy for damaging his vessel.

The Supreme Court Wednesday allowed the release of the ship.

The court accepted the Italian government’s assurance that it would ensure the presence of the four other marines who were on board the ship at the time of the incident if and when they are summoned by an Indian court.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe