Italian quake toll reaches 179 (Second Lead)April 7th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, April 7 (DPA) The death toll from an earthquake that struck central Italy in the pre-dawn hours of Monday has risen to 179, reported officials from the battered town of L’Aquila.
Of the dead, 40 bodies still need to be identified. An additional 34 people are missing more than 24 hours after the earthquake, which registered between 5.8 and 6.2 on the Richter scale.
The earthquake, which struck about 100 km north-east of Rome, has left an additional 1,500 injured and tens of thousands homeless. Many people opted to sleep in their cars Monday night.
Additionally, the region’s hilly landscape continues to make rescue operations difficult, as do ongoing aftershocks.
About 280 aftershocks have been reported since the initial quake, one of which reached a magnitude of 4.8 Tuesday morning.
The 2,000 rescue workers in L’Aquila have reported some successes, despite their race against time. About 24 hours after the quake, rescuers found a 24-year-old student still alive in her bed, debris from the quake having missed her by centimetres.
But there was also much bad news. The small town of Onna reported that 39 of its 250 residents had died in the quake.
Offers of aid continued to pour into Italy, the most recent one from Taiwan.
- Four killed in Italy quake - May 20, 2012
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Italian earthquake survivors recall their '20 seconds of hell' - Apr 07, 2009
- Italy quake death toll rises to 228 - Apr 08, 2009
- Italy quake toll rises to 278, state funeral Friday - Apr 09, 2009
- Italy quake toll goes past 90 - Apr 06, 2009
- Search for Italy's quake victims continues - Apr 11, 2009
- Magnitude-5.8 quake strikes Italy, deaths feared (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Italy quake toll rises to 250 - Apr 08, 2009
- Earthquake in Italy causes damage - Dec 16, 2009
- Scientists say that "Toads 'could be used to predict earthquakes'" - Dec 02, 2011
- Several killed in Italy quake; death toll may rise - Apr 06, 2009
- Italy mourns quake victims in Good Friday ceremony - Apr 11, 2009
- 90 killed in Iran quake - Aug 12, 2012
- Aftershocks hamper rescue efforts in quake-hit Turkey - Mar 09, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, aquila, bad news, central italy, dawn hours, death toll, debris, earthquake, hilly landscape, initial quake, magnitude, monday night, pre dawn, quake rescuers, quake toll, race against time, rescue operations, richter scale, successes, tuesday morning