Italian priest killed by mafia may be declared saintJune 30th, 2012 - 5:48 am ICT by IANS
Vatican City, June 30 (IANS/AKI) A priest from Italy’s Sicily island who was killed by the mafia 20 years ago has been declared a martyr by Pope Benedict, and may even attain sainthood if a miracle is attributed to him.
Giuseppe Pino Puglisi was “killed in hatred of the faith” in Palermo, the Vatican said.
He was shot dead in front of his parish church Sep 15, 1993 on his 56th birthday.
A mafia hitman said Puglisi’s last words were: “I’ve been expecting you.”
Now, if a miracle is attributed to the slain priest, he can be declared a saint.
Puglisi was inspired to fight the mafia in his native Palermo when a cardinal from the city brushed off the criminal gang, questioning its very existence.
“We can, we must criticise the church when we feel it doesn’t respond to our expectations, because it’s absolutely right to seek to improve it,” Puglisi had said regarding inaction by the church in combating the mafia.
- Pope can't cook, says brother - Apr 04, 2012
- Pope calls for Church to reflect on what led to abuse - Dec 21, 2010
- John Paul II beatified (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
- Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1 - Jan 15, 2011
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Pope John Paul II's blood to go on display - Apr 27, 2011
- 70 Belgians to sue Vatican for clerical sex abuse - Apr 30, 2011
- 4,000 cases of Catholic priests abusing kids probed - Feb 08, 2012
- Clergy celibacy may be open to review, says Vatican - Apr 28, 2010
Tags: cardinal, criminal gang, existence, faith, giuseppe, hatred, inaction, italian priest, italy, mafia hitman, martyr, miracle, palermo, pino puglisi, pope benedict, sainthood, sicily island, vatican, vatican city