Italian magistrate arrested in mafia crackdownNovember 30th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 30 (IANS/AKI) An Italian magistrate was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of corruption and associating with elements from the country’s wealthiest and most powerful mafia group.
Giuseppe Vincenzo Giglio, magistrate at the Reggio Calabria tribunal, who also headed a unit against organised crime, helped a member of the Lampada crime clan and facilitated activities of the ‘Ndrangheta organised crime network, investigators said.
The ‘Ndrangheta network has its roots in the southern Calabria region where Reggio Calabria is the urban centre.
Part of the magistrate’s job was to order the seizure of assets belonging to convicted members of the mafia.
The mafia network invests billions of euros in businesses and real estate and its activities have also been traced to North and South America, Australia, as well as other European countries.
- Police move to crush mafia in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- 'Dangerous' mobster held in Italy - Apr 24, 2012
- Italian politicians held for trading votes with mafia - Dec 23, 2010
- Fugitive Italian mafia leader arrested - May 04, 2012
- Man held for attempted bomb attack on Italy president - Sep 21, 2010
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- New book in Italy puts mafia on the map - Dec 06, 2009
- Troops to combat mafia in Italian city - Oct 07, 2010
- Nearly 200 kg cocaine seized in Italy port - Sep 08, 2012
- Mafia assets worth 47 mn euro seized in Italy - May 20, 2011
- Dozens of mafia men held in pan-European drugs bust - Jun 04, 2012
- 16 Italian judges held in anti-mafia operation - Mar 20, 2012
- 15 bn euros of mafia wealth seized in Italy - Jun 12, 2012
- Italian Police seize 'mafia assets' worth $1.9 bn - Sep 15, 2010
- Baby dies in Italy after being injected with milk - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: assets, billions, calabria region, corruption, crackdown, dg, european countries, giuseppe, investigators, italian magistrate, mafia, ndrangheta, north and south america, reggio calabria, rome, roots, seizure, suspicion, tribunal, urban centre