Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in YemenJuly 30th, 2012 - 7:25 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, July 30 (IANS) A staff member at the Italian embassy in Yemen has been kidnapped by armed men from the capital city of Sana’a, Xinhua reported.
The Italian was taken to an unknown location, said an official from Yemen’s interior ministry.
Yemen has long been hit by kidnapping of foreigners by powerful tribesmen and terrorists who seek ransom or the release of their jailed mates.
A French aid worker who was kidnapped by gunmen in the western port city of Hodayda was released earlier this month.
Kidnappers still hold a Swiss woman and a Saudi diplomat, demanding the release of Al Qaeda militants.
- French aid worker released in Yemen - Jul 15, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Two US tourists kidnapped in Yemen - May 29, 2010
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt - May 14, 2012
- Swiss woman abducted in Yemen - Mar 16, 2012
- Spanish embassy policeman found dead in Yemen - May 22, 2012
- Costa Rican diplomat kidnapped in Venezuela - Apr 10, 2012
- US asks embassy officials in Yemen to evacuate - May 26, 2011
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- Two Chinese workers kidnapped in Egypt - Mar 01, 2012
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Yemen to get over $3 billion Saudi Arabian aid - May 24, 2012
- Yemen beefs up security to enforce emergency rule (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda militants, armed men, embassy staffer, foreigners, french aid worker, gunmen, interior ministry, italian embassy, kidnappers, mates, ransom, saudi diplomat, staff member, swiss woman, terrorists, tribesmen, western port city, xinhua