Italian cruise ship fends off pirates (Lead)April 26th, 2009 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg/Rome, April 26 (DPA) An Italian cruise ship carrying 1,500 passengers and crew was able to fend off a pirate attack off the coast of Somalia, the German subsidiary of Italian MSC Crociere confirmed Sunday.
The ship was attacked at around 2035 Somali time (1735 GMT) Saturday evening by armed pirates firing shots from a small speedboat, 330 km from the Seychelles where it had last anchored.
The captain was able to outmanoeuvre the attackers, a spokeswoman for MSC Cruises in Munich said. None of the 1,000 passengers and 500 crew was injured.
Initial reports of the attack came from a German passenger, who phoned Hamburg-based Spiegel news magazine.
“During a show on board, shots were suddenly being fired,” the passenger said.
The passenger heard repeated gunfire, while other guests saw a white speed boat following the cruise ship.
International marine organisations have provided a military ship to escort the MSC Melody, which has continued its scheduled journey to Aqaba in Jordan, the cruise operator said.
The final destination of the cruise, en route from South Africa, is the Italian city of Genoa.
MSC Crociere, based in Naples, offers cruises to passengers from around the world.
- Pirates attack Italian ship with 1,200 onboard - Apr 26, 2009
- Indian warship arrests pirates off Seychelles - Apr 28, 2009
- Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles after fire - Feb 28, 2012
- Indian Navy ship foils piracy bid near Seychelles, nine arrested (Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 28, 2009
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- Toll in cruise ship accident off Italy rises to eight (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Pirates seize Italian ship off Oman - Apr 21, 2011
- Baffled Somali pirates phone ship-owner for assistance - Sep 10, 2010
- Italian tanker with 17 Indians hijacked - Feb 08, 2011
- Adrift Italian cruise ship towed to Seychelles - Mar 01, 2012
- Somali pirates hijack German-owned ship with crew of 12 - Jan 26, 2011
- 29 missing in Italian cruise shipwreck - Jan 17, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: attackers, cruise operator, cruise ship, final destination, german subsidiary, gunfire, initial reports, italian city, marine organisations, military ship, msc crociere, msc cruises, msc melody, news magazine, pirate attack, saturday evening, speed boat, speedboat, spiegel, spokeswoman