Italian cruise ship captain detainedJanuary 15th, 2012 - 7:47 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Italian prosecutors have detained the captain of the luxury ship cruiser that ran aground near the coast of Tuscany early Saturday, Italian media reported.
The 290-metre-long, 1,500-cabin Costa Concordia liner was on a Mediterranean cruise when it hit a reef near Giglio island, after which the ship tilted heavily to one side.
Francesco Schettino, the captain, was questioned for several hours before being taken to a pre-trial detention facility.
Schettino said that the Costa Concordia liner with over 4,200 passengers on board hit reefs that were not marked on the navigation map.
The captain of the ill-fated ship is suspected of manslaughter and leaving the ship in distress before the evacuation was over.
The liner ran aground off the Isola del Giglio island.
At least three people - two French passengers and a crewmember from Peru - were killed and 67 were injured. About 70 passengers are still listed as missing.
A criminal investigation was launched to investigate the shipwreck and fatalities.
- 29 missing in Italian cruise shipwreck - Jan 17, 2012
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise liner - Jan 17, 2012
- Italy's cruise ship captain 'was like a Ferrari driver' - Jan 18, 2012
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- Toll in cruise ship accident off Italy rises to eight (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- Italy cruise ship survivors to get compensation - Jan 27, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- One Indian crew member missing in Italian ship capsize - Jan 16, 2012
- 200 Indians passengers of capsized Italian liner returning - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 23 Indian survivors return to Mumbai - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: costa concordia, criminal investigation, cruise ship, detention facility, giglio island, isola del giglio, italian media, least three people, luxury ship, manslaughter, mediterranean cruise, moscow, prosecutors, reef, reefs, ria novosti, ship captain, ship in distress, shipwreck, tuscany