Israel’s ultimatum to Obama on Iran n-plansMarch 4th, 2012 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 4 (IANS) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is to deliver an ultimatum to the US over Iran’s nuclear plans, a media report said Sunday.
At Monday’s meeting between Netanyahu and US President Barack Obama, the Israeli prime minister will deliver a stark warning, The Telegraph reported.
Netanyahu effectively brings with him an ultimatum, demanding that unless the president makes a firm pledge to use US military force to prevent Iran acquiring a nuclear bomb, Israel may well take matters into its own hands within months, it said.
The threat is not an idle one. According to sources close to the Israeli security establishment, military planners have concluded that never before has the timing for a unilateral military strike against Iran’s nuclear facilities been so auspicious.
It is an assessment based on the unforeseen consequences of the Arab Spring, particularly in Syria, which has had the result of significantly weakening Iran’s clout in the region, according to the daily.
Israel has always known that there would be an enormous cost in launching an attack on Iran, with the Islamist state able to retaliate through its proxy militant groups Hamas and Hizbollah, based in Gaza and Lebanon respectively, and its ally Syria.
Each is capable of launching massive rocket strikes at Israel’s cities, a price that some senior intelligence and military officials said was too much to bear.
But with Syria preoccupied by a near civil war and Hamas in recent weeks choosing to leave Iran’s orbit and realign itself with Egypt, Iran’s options suddenly look considerably more limited, boosting the case for war, the newspaper added.
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Madonna fans oppose bombing Iran before Israel gig - Feb 10, 2012
- US to ask Israel to let sanctions affect Iran - Mar 04, 2012
- Turkish PM warns of 'disastrous' consequence if Israel strikes Iran - Apr 01, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Wikileaks expose: Saudi Arabia urges US attack on Iran - Nov 29, 2010
- Israel warns against concessions to Tehran - May 22, 2012
- Iran seeking to build nuclear weapon: Cameron - Mar 07, 2012
- Israeli military can be 'swept aside' by Iran: US analyst - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, clout, hamas, hizbollah, israeli prime minister, israeli security, london march, militant groups, military force, military officials, military planners, military strike, minister benjamin netanyahu, nuclear bomb, nuclear facilities, prime minister benjamin, security establishment, ultimatum, unforeseen consequences