Israeli troops kill man mistaken for Hamas leaderJanuary 7th, 2011 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 7 (IANS) Israel’s military has expressed “regret” for having shot dead an innocent 67-year-old man in his bed, after he was mistaken for a Hamas leader, Sky News reported Friday.Omar Kawasme was killed during a raid in the West Bank city of Hebron.
According to eyewitnesses, the soldiers were looking for Kawasme’s neighbour - a member of Hamas who had just been released from a Palestinian jail.
Kawasme’s wife, Sobheye, said soldiers broke into their home before dawn, entered their bedroom and fired several shots.
On Thursday, Palestinian authorities released six members of the Islamist Hamas group from jail.
One of the released leaders lived in the floor below Kawasme and it is thought Israeli troops may have been searching for him.
An Israel military spokesman admitted Kawasme was innocent and expressed “regret” for the mistake.
“There is no indication that he himself was a terrorist. He was not a target, it was definitely not intentional,” he said.
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli soldiers arrest senior Hamas operative in the West Bank - Jan 07, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israel arrests Palestinian lawmaker - Jul 01, 2010
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel considers referendum on peace deal with Palestinians - Sep 22, 2010
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hamas uncovers spy network collaborating with Israel - Sep 24, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- 'Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners' demands' - May 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,